support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The bottle to play for others

tom9437

Locality
peterborough uk
Hi guys i think most of you know me or of me on here. Happy new year to you all. Ok iI have been playing about 3 yrs now my sight reading is getting better i am about grade four. Can i ask when and how you get the nerve to play in front of other people i have never been asked too or even pointed in the direction of other musicians maybe cause i am crap i dont know. But Iv tried local big bands just to sit in on practice but no luck And even i they says come down i think i would be just so scared. Can anyone put things into real life and tell me what standard i would have to be ??? I mean i want to hear someone say "tom if you can do so and so ect ect then just go for it .??? or just listen to my old youtube clips its romeo011 and just offer some reall help for an old guy lol thanks Tom

Hi Tom

I know how you feel. I am in a similar position.

It is difficult with a sax and a small band because you may me expected to solo and front the band and that is scary to say the least.

I would love to join a big band or a ska band with a wind section so I can loose my self and not stick out too much.

I think what I am going to try this year is to get away to a residential sax/jazz weekend or workshop so I can play with others who are at a similar stage in their playing.

I tried last year but work got in the way and funds were low but I must try harder this year.

Playing with others is fantastic. I have played with friends in small groups but never in front of an audience or anything.

I think we need to get out more Tom

mamos

Hi guys i think most of you know me or of me on here. Happy new year to you all. Ok iI have been playing about 3 yrs now my sight reading is getting better i am about grade four. Can i ask when and how you get the nerve to play in front of other people i have never been asked too or even pointed in the direction of other musicians maybe cause i am crap i dont know. But Iv tried local big bands just to sit in on practice but no luck And even i they says come down i think i would be just so scared. Can anyone put things into real life and tell me what standard i would have to be ??? I mean i want to hear someone say "tom if you can do so and so ect ect then just go for it .??? or just listen to my old youtube clips its romeo011 and just offer some reall help for an old guy lol thanks Tom

mmmmm this sums me up well too. I wish i could find someone close enough to cannock to give it a try, but i don't know if i would have the bottle. I'm sure I'm good enough, in private..:)

Try Adult Education (we have a jazz class in our area - I think it's pretty unique - worth a try though), try googling jazz workshops/cooperatives - also worth googling local orchestras - there's one near me that takes on all levels of ability.

If you find anything and you go along don't worry if you feel nervous because you'll find that other people feel the same!

Good luck hope you find something!

Try Adult Education (we have a jazz class in our area - I think it's pretty unique - worth a try though), try googling jazz workshops/cooperatives - also worth googling local orchestras - there's one near me that takes on all levels of ability.

If you find anything and you go along don't worry if you feel nervous because you'll find that other people feel the same!

Good luck hope you find something!

:shocked: I just did that..... :eek:

http://www.amateurorchestras.org.uk/oheart.htm

OK I'm going to write an email today... brrrr, that waters cold..:)

Gday Martin,

Try busking...I know most people this scares them, but they only have 10 secs to listen and even if you play wrong notes, no one really cares, it's also a great place to practise the same tune (and even scales with rythem again and again)......you might even get some nice comments &.....Money

What have you got to loose!
Give it a go mate!
Ciao
Jimu:mrcool

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all and thanks .Artylady good luck let me know how you get on please.:welldone

Tom, good advice here, but I'll go with Artylady's advice.. and that's what I did. I've been playing less than two years and I'm doing Grade 4/5 stuff with my teacher. She said I really needed to play with others. My local authority adult ed institute runs three sax groups - beginner, intermediate and advanced.I joined the intermediate and its the best thing I have done for ages. Out of about 9 regulars I found there were a couple of more experienced players, but several lesser so. But it doesn't matter as everyone is helpful; the guy who runs it is quite demanding but he is trying to get us to a reasonable standard of ensemble playing. I know I have improved hugely in three months - my teacher notices too.

If you've got anything like that locally, just go along and ask to sit in one evening. You'll find a level that suits you.
Good luck
Colin

Hi Colin, and thank you i will try but for some reason peterborough do not have anything so good.We have an orchestra wich i have just emailed tonite. We also have a big band but they ask for grade 5. But i will try adult education dept. thanks again Tom.

Hey Tom,
There comes a point when every young fledgling has to leave the nest (or there comfort zone!!). We've all been there, I totally understand what your going through. I did it when I started out playing the drums and again with the sax. The important thing with music is you go out and have fun. Thats why we do it. Sure, its not going to be easy at first but you'll get there.
Just some ideas...You could try visiting a local pub that puts on jam sessions, not too much pressure there. Or, CL JAZZ do some excellent residential courses for beginners and more experienced players (google them for more info).
Hope this helps....
Andy

... I just did that.....
http://www.amateurorchestras.org.uk/oheart.htm

OK I'm going to write an email today... brrrr, that waters cold..:)

That's a useful site! good luck Martin!

Gday Martin,

Try busking...I know must people this scares them, but they only have 10 secs to listen and even if you play wrong notes, no one really cares, it's also a great place to practise the same tune (and even scales with rythem again and again)......you might even get some nice comments &.....Money

What have you got to loose!
Give it a go mate!
Ciao
Jimu:mrcool

I'd love to be able to do that but it really scares me! - unlike most women I'm shops and shopping centre phobic :( If I went busking it would have to be in a quiet village - don't think that would be appreciated much! ;-)

Hi all and thanks .Artylady good luck let me know how you get on please.:welldone

Hi Tom - I attended a jazz workshop for a couple of months (going back a few years) I also used to attend a classical orchestral ensemble evening class and more recently I've been going to the jazz adult education class that I mentioned, my tutor is a saxophonist who also runs saxophone classes.

You can't beat playing with others - it gives you the drive to keep practicing and also it's a nice sociable evening out.:)

Hi Tom, I see you've had some really good advice so far. I'd go along with Rick Reed, this is the track I took. I felt that big band work would be too structured for a non reader like me, so I followed the jam route. I wrote a blog You can read it here. I hope it helps.

for what it's worth, the actual act of playing in front of people isn't actually scary- in that you're normally so busy playing that stopping to consider the audience isn't really possible. At least that's what I've found.
Taz. loved your article in the Heroes of Saxophone section by the way....

I especially liked this quote:

"We are always on the lookout for new players of any ability, we do not do auditions, all we ask is that you can play one octave of notes on your instrument. Come and grow with us!"

:)))

for what it's worth, the actual act of playing in front of people isn't actually scary- in that you're normally so busy playing that stopping to consider the audience isn't really possible. At least that's what I've found.
Taz. loved your article in the Heroes of Saxophone section by the way....

This is true. I did a gig on New years Eve with my band at the Barley Sheaf in Liskeard. I think it went ok but it's difficult to tell when actually playing as the audience are usually drinking and milling around. It's nice afterward even if just one person comments favourably on ones playing.

The type of music we play doesn't really rely on music being played absolutely spot on just so long as the riffs are played correctly and at the right time. One solo I do lasts for three minutes or so and is never the same twice, the only secret being to know what notes NOT to play (c and c# in my particular solo as they ring out as bad notes). People don't notice bum notes much but they do notice if you're not in time (or in tune).

If you can't find a band to join try having them come to you by putting details on band search websites, for example:

http://www.bandmix.co.uk

You'll probably have to audition but they can only say no and if they are setting up a new band they'll be flexible.

Alternatively, try using these sites to set up your own band.

Good luck

Martin

Try Gumtree too. Their 'music' sections are full of "bands looking for players", or "players looking for others". Post something there.

But I know it is difficult because we always assume everyone else is better than us! THat's not always the case - they usually have more confidence, but they're not always any better. You just have to break that confidence barrier by getting out and giving it a go.

Of course you help yourself by pitching it at something manageable but there are plenty of good suggestions here.

My experiences...

Concert/Big bands - first one I played in was, with hindsight, too good for me. The conductor was ex-military and retained the standards he'd lived with for many years, which meant cowering behind the music stands some evenings as the baton would fly across the practice room. Put me off for a long time, actually, so don't go there! I've played in others since that weren't anything like as pressurised and it's great fun.

Residential - great idea, you know they're all there because they want to learn and share. Tutors are generally excellent, will push you enough to bring you out, but won't embarrass anyone.

Workshops - I did these for a few months BEFORE I did a residential course. Great experience if you find a good group who are willing to let you have a go, help out, and just let you find your way. If you just bung in a few bars using a blues scale then stop and leave it at that you're on your way. You'll be itching to get back next week once you've broken the ice. The majority of these are mixed ability, people who love the music and want to play. Generally, they all started out like you and are happy to help newcomers. If they are prima donnas who can't abide someone playing a bum note or missing their cue they'll be in a decent band with their mates, not at the workshop. No, the ones who go along to workshops are the sort who are happy to play with anyone just for the fun.

Adult Ed - I've done an evening class workshop (travelled 50 miles each way - that's how keen I was) for a couple of terms, and am currently doing a Saturday workshop at Sussex Uni. These are good, some have more tutoring, or structure, than others but again they have players in the same boat as you. Some are further advanced, some aren't, but they are all there for the same reason.

Small groups - one of the best things that came out of the resdiential course was meeting a few other players who lived near to me. From that we still meet regularly (piano, bass, guitar, alto, tenor, drummer) - this was a really good start as we all knew roughly where we we coming from at the outset so there was no worry about "will I fit?"

Open mic - done a couple, didn't really enjoy them particularly, but that's me. They work really well for others.

Other students - my old teacher put together a sax quartet for his pupils. This was excellent. He selected students who were about the same standard so we knew we were'nt going to look silly, we all knew the teacher so were confident he was going to give us stuff we could do, and it made for a very relaxed intro to playing with others. Do you have a teacher? If so ask if he could get you together one evening.

One thing to bear in mind - you do need some experienced players to drive it forward. If you get together with a complete bunch of newbie's you'll get nowhere as everyone will be looking for someone else to take the lead. Someone has to have the ears and experience to drive it forward.

I repeat, the good, experienced, players who do any of these things are in it for the fun and to share their knowledge. Their serious stuff is probably done in other bands, for them this is a fun way to share their experience so go with it and grab a share of it.

Wow Phil thank you for taking the time to sit and write such a long reply all taken on board thanks again. Also thanks to the rest of course:welldone

martin pleased your still goig strong mate i will pop in to your face book and have a nose round soeak soon

Well I've been along to my local band tonight, just to have a look. I found a delightful bunch of people of all ages and abilities and i was made to feel extremely welcome. I was invited to sit with the three Altos and try to follow the score, I followed 98% of it and actually found myself wishing I had taken my Sax. I'm not sure I would of played it all, but certainly didn't get lost so next week I'm going back, this time to have a go. I know I'm going to be nervous but I've met these guys now and I know I'm going to love it.... :welldone

Well I've been along to my local band tonight, just to have a look. I found a delightful bunch of people of all ages and abilities and i was made to feel extremely welcome. I was invited to sit with the three Altos and try to follow the score, I followed 98% of it and actually found myself wishing I had taken my Sax. I'm not sure I would of played it all, but certainly didn't get lost so next week I'm going back, this time to have a go. I know I'm going to be nervous but I've met these guys now and I know I'm going to love it.... :welldone

Great start Martin, well done. Of course the dots will seem to fly by next week when you're actually playing, but now you know it's within your capability (or close enough, a bit of a stretch is a good thing) you'll have a ball.

Will they let you borrow or copy the music? Helps your confidence if you can run through the parts in between practice sessions.

I'd love to be able to do that but it really scares me! - unlike most women I'm shops and shopping centre phobic :( If I went busking it would have to be in a quiet village - don't think that would be appreciated much! ;-)

Well that's easily sorted. Many towns have a decent park or play area where you can tuck yourself away and entertain(?) people eating their lunch or just taking a wander. Might be better in warmer months when it's busy; then again perhaps now's the time to give it a go when there's no-one there! :)))