support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The Bops Calling ..Confirmation

daveysaxboy

Account Closed
Theres been alot of talking :))):))):))) on SOTW about bop,jazz,tradition etc etc >:) and i've been back hearing more Dexter Gordon who for me is the bop player....;} i have always loved his playing.I have been checking out my old cds of him and looking through some tunes and our Littlewailer,Sean done a version on Confirmation which is coming along great.So i got the track lastnight and heres a very ruff me getting to feel the tune quicky version.Needs alot of work but i'm enjoying the Dexter type stuff once more and enjoying the graft involved .:)

http://youtu.be/PbHV5viNvYU

Sounds good to me. But I got criticized for saying the same for Sean's take as it wasn't 100% traditional. You's isn't traditional either, but I frankly don't think that matters. S***w the Bebop police.

Fine tone and a more laid back delivery that most bebop. I like it and don't see the need for everyone to try and copy Bird.

Sounds good to me. But I got criticized for saying the same for Sean's take as it wasn't 100% traditional. You's isn't traditional either, but I frankly don't think that matters. S***w the Bebop police.

Fine tone and a more laid back delivery that most bebop. I like it and don't see the need for everyone to try and copy Bird.

And the best thing is i would not even try to copy bird like many many do.Theres enough bop in my take with enough of me.Yea at times over that side i feel we should be playing classical music.NEVER STRAY from the path of tradion.You have to laugh.If all the inter stellar jazz greats who stretched there wings had not the world would be rather dull.

And the best thing is i would not even try to copy bird like many many do.Theres enough bop in my take with enough of me.Yea at times over that side i feel we should be playing classical music.NEVER STRAY from the path of tradion.You have to laugh.If all the inter stellar jazz greats who stretched there wings had not the world would be rather dull.

Quite right. I just don't get people who celebrate an innovator from 60 years ago and then feel the need to copy exactly what they did (forever). This is the current dilemma. Too much dogma about having to follow "tradition" and a huge discouragement to innovate. Maximum hypocrisy, minimum musical growth.

Quite right. I just don't get people who celebrate an innovator from 60 years ago and then feel the need to copy exactly what they did (forever). This is the current dilemma. Too much dogma about having to follow "tradition" and a huge discouragement to innovate. Maximum hypocrisy, minimum musical growth.

I for 1 enjoy a little say be bop and am enjoying the workout at the moment on some bop stuff.I practice again lots of stuff as thats what floats my boat and what i want as a player and for my chops but when these guys start rapping on its not in a jazz tradtion,bop,swing tradition its crazy.Any jazz piece i play to me is jazzy,not pure jazz.Like many people do but my take,my twist,my voice and the important bit is what i want to do.You hear many many great players and there just repeating the well worn licks.Sad and when you do your own version they say you should not so to speak.Yes i admire many guys that put there all into a style but thats not me.