support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The 48 Ferlings

As I understand it (following Wikipedia), Ferling wrote the 48 studies in about 1835. They were for oboe. Apparently the complete draft of this is in the British Library. Ferling did not complete the project in that he left out some of the keys with lots of flats and sharp. Marcel Mule decided to fill this gap, and the resulting edition has 60 studies. It is published by Leduc.

Some examination boards use the 60-studies edition. Others list editions with the 48. I myself use the Billaudot edition which is 48.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's confusing is that the leduc/mule edition is still called 48 studies, but is described as having the extra 12. Not all the online sellers mention this, though.

Not Country tunes then?

166eec4f6ab76cc09d2e9ce4053e7b2bbe72b342

So a ferling is a farthing? I learnt something new today!

LOL.

actually, I was messing around. following on from Colins play on words.

but, there you go. you do learn something new all the time.

thanks Nigel.

@vries1 you haven't been here furlong but if you follow the link at the foot of the post above you might get a inch that should help you fathom what the ell is the point here. o_O

(201.17 m + 20.12 cm + 30.48 cm + 2.54 cm + 1.83 m + 114.3 cm + 0.35 mm)

Just "FYI" ... I clicked on Colin the Bear's link to see the picture better and was taken to Photobucket where the space was immediately invaded by a pop up ad asking me if I want to meet millionaire men over 50!!!! Good grief. It's like the internet is full of 1940s pimps and spivs.

Link is the name of the character in the picture. He's the main protagonist in Nintendo's "Zelda" series of games.

@vries1 you haven't been here furlong but if you follow the link at the foot of the post above you might get a inch that should help you fathom what the ell is the point here. o_O

(201.17 m + 20.12 cm + 30.48 cm + 2.54 cm + 1.83 m + 114.3 cm + 0.35 mm)

114.3cm is an English ell. The French ell is 137.2cm.
All very well, but after Brexit we in the UK shall hopefully be returning to our good old-fashioned ell, which is, of course, the same as a cubit (about 45.7cm). Though the Scots will probably insist on a referendum to keep the Scottish ell (94cm).

Though the Scots will probably insist on a referendum to keep the Scottish ell (94cm).

very good. took me a minute, but I got there, eventually.

Whilst on a Scottish theme, a short piece of added info re the 48 sax studies. ( remember them )

A publisher in Scotland called MacLeduc put them out in 1986.
Yes...... " the 48 Ferrrrling studies fir a' kinds o' saxes"

A publisher in Scotland called MacLeduc put them out in 1986.
Yes...... " the 48 Ferrrrling studies fir a' kinds o' saxes"

. . . with bagpipe accompaniment.

Just "FYI" ... I clicked on Colin the Bear's link to see the picture better and was taken to Photobucket where the space was immediately invaded by a pop up ad asking me if I want to meet millionaire men over 50!!!!
I'm still waiting for your answer.