All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

The 27 Club.

old git

Tremendous Bore
On BBC Radio 4, following Amy Whitehouse's demise, they mentioned Robert Johnson, who also shuffled off this mortal coil aged 27.

Looking at the grey-haired, decrepit ancients on this forum, we've missed the boat.>:)

Young Col

Who are you calling grey haired and decrepit? I recently had to point out to a friend who remarked how grey I was going that he was wrong: it was actually silver.
It might be trumpeters who are more likely to die young. Some exemplary notables like Dizzy and Louis apart, think about Bix (28), Lee Morgan and Bunny Berigan (both 34), Clifford Brown (26).
Perhaps if sax players are more subject to longevity there's hope for me to become one yet.
Young Benny C.

Jack

Dunno about the rest but Bix (from my hometown) died of a drug overdose. I always had a hard and fast rule: (my bands don't drink on the job, or do dope period). My response to drunks and dopers was a bus ticket home. Being 78 I am probably the oldest sax player here. >:)

Young Col

Well it's one (or two) ways to longevity Jack, but not exclusive. Bix died of being an alcoholic (he was not actually a drug taker); his death certificate says something like pulmonary pneumonia but that was the result of the appalling shape he was in after years of alcohol poisoning. Bunny Berigan died of drink too. But Lee Morgan was killed by his wife/girlfriend (and New Orleans trumpeter Evan Thomas was famously killed in a dance hall fight as well) while Clifford Brown died in a car crash along with his pianist Ritchie Powell and Ritchie's wife (who Clifford had apparently told Ritchie not to let her drive while he went to sleep inthe back). And then there was Glenn Miller..... You just never know do you?
YC

old git

Tremendous Bore
All invalid. I am the only one left aged 27.

edited to add:-Wotcha mean singing "Why are we waiting?"

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Who are you calling grey haired and decrepit?
I recently caught up with an old school friend via FaceBook. He said he hardly recognised my photo as I had "gone blond". I decided not to point out to him that actually it was grey :))) :)))

Juju

I did a post mortem on a 27 year-old today. Probably an overdose... Hope he was not from this forum!

AlanU

Only last Sunday on the fascinating BBC Radio4 programme 'More or less' this subject was analyzed.
It is still available on the BBCi player to listen again, this item appearing at about 20 minutes in.

To summarize, since this has become a subject of conjecture people are inclined to notice those musicians who die at 27. Not looking for clusters of 26 or 28 year-olds etc.
In 2005 research was done looking into 1,064 famous rock/pop musicans (predominately male) in the best selling bands.

The average age for making it big was in their early twenties and they were most at risk of dying within five years. Usually attributed to fame/money/drugs. It would appear that if you can survive those vital five years you've got it under control.
2.3% of them died within the first five years. The average among the rest of the male population of the same age had a 0.3% death rate.
If however you were doing something patently risky, like serving on the front line in Afghanistan for five years your chances of dying were still only 1.9%

So perhaps, be content you never made the big time and are here to read this. Or perform some magic like Keith Richard seems to have by side-stepping 27 altogether and going straight from pasty-faced kid to someone who looks like he's just been unearthed.

ps. blonde is not a hair colour, it is a state of mind.

Young Col

Well it wasn't the perpetually youthful OG, unless he left automatic pm messages!

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom