All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

The 10 best Brussel Sprout Recipes!

Taz

Busking Oracle
Lightly fried in butter with chestnuts and bacon chunks. Add seasoning to taste but I like a good pinch of sea salt and a twist or two of freshly ground black pepper. For an added twist, sprinkle with some freshly grated cheese. (The stronger the better)

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
Steamed, Lightly Boiled, Fried with chestnuts, Fried without chestnuts..Fried with bacon lardons....

.... Oh what the heck.... RAW

Basically as long as the meal includes Brussel Sprouts then count me in :)

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
I too am a fan, as long as they're not put on to boil before the beginning of Advent.

I think my favourite has to be halved (if they're large) and fried with bacon with salt and plenty of black pepper. They must retain a certain crispiness.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Lightly fried in butter with chestnuts and bacon chunks. Add seasoning to taste but I like a good pinch of sea salt and a twist or two of freshly ground black pepper. For an added twist, sprinkle with some freshly grated cheese. (The stronger the better)
Can't beat that IMO....

Jazzaferri

Clean and halve sprouts

place them cut face down in fry pan. Add enough water that has a tsp or so of maple syrup dissolved in it to about half cover the sprouts. The amount of water varies with how well done you like your sprouts and how fast your element bols off the water. Add a pinch eachnof of allspice salt and nutmeg and a tbsp if butter. Reduce until Water is gone on highest heat. When the water is just about gone start to slide the pan every few seconds to coat the spouts and prevent anything burning. You want the maple syrup and butter to combine and just start to caramelize. Then serve

And there you have it Jay's own Canadian style brussel sprouts.

TomMapfumo

Brussel Sprouts with White beans and Pecorino Cheese

Halve & trim 1ib of Brussel sprouts and add to hot fry pan which has 4/5 tbs mild olive oil. Cook for 5 mins until they have taken on some colour. Put in bowl.

Add more Olive oil to hot pan and cook 3 chopped cloves of garlic for a minute. Add 4/5oz of chicken stock and sprouts and cook until crisp and tender.

Add tin Canellini beans and 2oz butter and cook until the liquid forms a glaze. Season and mix in 3oz of roughly crumbled Pecorino. Serve!

Tom:thumb:

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
My vote goes to Taz but I do like the sound of Tom's too. I love sprouts!!

TomMapfumo

Just been experimenting and came up with a brussel sprout recipe that I actually like!

INGREDIENTS:

2 Large Onions finely chopped.
500g Sprouts trimmed and sliced thinly into rounds (about 6/8 rounds per sprout).
200g Smoked Bacon, cut into 3cm strips.
6/8 sSmall Charlotte potatoes, cut into thin rounds.
Olive Oil and Butter.
Chicken Stock (home made or 2 cubes), stirred into hot water - 500g or so.
Black pepper and Sea Salt.

Heat 2 tbsps oil and 1oz butter in saute/fry pan and cook cbacon for few mins.
Add onion and cook until soft.
Add sprout and potato slices and cook together for few minutes.
Add stock and bring to boil, before simmering and reducing liquid to a minimum.
Once potato is cooked then season well.
Serve as a main dish or as an accompanying vegetable - excellent with sausages, chops, roast meats or similar.

I had it as a main dish and really enjoyed it. I especially liked the taste of the sliced sprouts, concluding that cooking & serving sprouts whole does not see them at their best. I also think that sprouts are better as an accompanying vegetable mixed with other ingredients than they are as the star of the show. More sliced sprouts recipes to follow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom