All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

That nice Mr Thomas and Costa Coffee.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Should that nice Mr Thomas sue Costa Coffee for breach of copyright over their singing heads in a sea of coffee beans TV advertisement? It is such a blatant rip off from this learned coffee community perhaps a suitable solution would be to drown the participants in Camp?

Chris98

Should that nice Mr Thomas sue Costa Coffee for breach of copyright over their singing heads in a sea of coffee beans TV advertisement? It is such a blatant rip off from this learned coffee community perhaps a suitable solution would be to drown the participants in Camp?
Dear Mr. OG,

I read your post above with great interest, as I do with all your musings ;}, but your final sentence left be bewildered:confused:, I would be most obliged to your kind and well respected self, if you could enlighten me... Err, what is Camp? I is familiar with the word and 'ow some folks makes use of it... but I do declare I cannot fathom how any of these would fit within what you are conveying.

My best regards,

Chris

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Camp coffee is what OG is talking about. Comes in a bottle( if memory serves me right)..

Chris..

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
This might help Chris

Jx

OOps image not showing, camp coffee is a liquid chicory and coffee essence

llamedos

Camp "coffee" has nothing to do effeminacy (so far as I am aware!) but is indelibly stamped on my psyche. My grandmother always had a bottle on the pantry shelf and I was quite convinced that the seated figure was my grandad, because he had a similar moustache and had been in the Army in India in the First World War. For some reason, although I am a dedicated coffee consumer, I cannot join in the fashionable denigration of such an important part of my childhood with a clear conscience.

On the other hand, some of the concoctions which currently masquerade as "coffee" in jars of instant I would happily consign to the dustbin. I hope I will never be a coffee snob and can enjoy a cup of Douwe Egberts with the best of 'em but some leave such a taste behind that I could could return to NAAFI tea without a qualm!

Dave

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
This country is full of surprises!
Ten years ago it was hard to find a decent espresso, and now people can order a half semi-skimmed cinnamon frappuccino.

Evolution....

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Here, from another thread. (Try a forum custom search for camp coffee)

This shows the before and after political correctness labels. Note the previously servile Indian chap is later shown with equal status, sharing a cup of the worst coffee ever to blight the subcontinent.

Note how he appears happier when not actually having to drink the stuff.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
This country is full of surprises!
Ten years ago it was hard to find a decent espresso, and now people can order a half semi-skimmed cinnamon frappuccino.

Evolution....
But what it is more difficult to order is a mug of hot coffee.

Young Col

I am so glad that Camp coffee has come up again. I don't think it's been mentioned in a thread for several months. We always keep a bottle. Never use it. Just keep a bottle. On the subject of coffee, perhaps someone can tell me what a skinny latte is. It sounds like something so diluted with milk that is hardly passes for coffee. I've just got used to asking for an Americano, when you used to get black coffee with separate milk to add yourself as a matter of course in decent establishments (unless you specifically wanted espresso or capuccino).
Is it time to re-open the debate about the best way/best machine to make coffee?

Colin the Bear

Coffee made with skimmed milk innit? For me the best machine to make coffee is a kettle.

If you put instant coffee in a microwave , does it go back in time?

Camp used to where you pitched your tent, Gay was being happy and Lol was my mate Lawrence's nickname. How times change. Frothy coffee and skiffle went together. Coffee bars had scooters or motorbikes parked outside, which summed up what was on the new fangled juke box thingummy. Isn't chickory supposed to be good for the dog's digestion. I'll pop the kettle on and make her a cup

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Coffee made with skimmed milk innit? For me the best machine to make coffee is a kettle.

If you put instant coffee in a microwave , does it go back in time?

Camp used to where you pitched your tent, Gay was being happy and Lol was my mate Lawrence's nickname. How times change. Frothy coffee and skiffle went together. Coffee bars had scooters or motorbikes parked outside, which summed up what was on the new fangled juke box thingummy. Isn't chickory supposed to be good for the dog's digestion. I'll pop the kettle on and make her a cup
Good old days...
Now luckily someone invented the "flat white" that never misses to cause explicit public cursing in my local Café.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_white

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
What for?
Just personal taste, I find it preferable to the over-priced, pretentiously named, insipid, lukewarm dishwater that trendy coffee shops try to pass off instead of real coffee.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Aaaaaah... that thing. I have been in one, recently, and I had the same impression.

I thought you were referring to the espresso/black coffee debate. A major genetic imprinting that defines cultural belonging.

MellowD

Lost In Theory
Bringing the tone of this thread down considerably, I expect ...... I do recall my grandmother keeping it to hand as an easy resource when a laxative solution was required

navarro

Dear Mr Old Git I must protest. While agreeing wholeheartedly with your comments reference Mr Thomas`s scattering of caffeine capsules you reference to `Camp` has me a little perplexed as this could be misconstrued as an affront to the insignia which proudly adorns our flags when we (Pensioners in Pink.) march the Saturday before St Crispins Day to Trafalgar Square. Yours Sincerely. Village People fan N.:thumb:

To reminisce I well remember the dark brown viscous fluid Camp `Ready Aye Ready` Coffee. Which in turn reminds me of a jape we (sixth formers at my old school.) used to practice on Dr C. Gordon (Conkey)our science head. Conkey was very partial to a morning snack which consisted of a bacon sandwich which he lathered in brown sauce and would munch contentedly in front of the whole class. One day we replaced the contents of the sauce bottle with `Camp Coffee` and put the bottle back into Conks secure (so he thought) hiding place (the bunsen burner cupboard.) He eventually produced his, what must have been cold sandwich, from a serviette (no foil wrap in those days.) and proceeded to smother it in sauce. Two bites in he realized something was a amiss but ever the stalwart (Ex Coldstream Nulli Secundus Guards Officer) would not desist and consumed it in it`s entirety, amid stifled guffaws from the assembly.

This little episode was the topic of conversation in the `senior common` for many a night and saved numerous junior `fags` a good hiding. All the best Tom Brown`s Schooldays. N.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
I can only say that this forum gets better by the day after being addicted to the saxophone from day one I find myself becoming addicted to the the forum for it's humour and wit it just seems to get better and better the more people join,long live cafe sax...john

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I can only say that this forum gets better by the day after being addicted to the saxophone from day one I find myself becoming addicted to the the forum for it's humour and wit it just seems to get better and better the more people join,long live cafe sax...john
Are you going to serve camp coffee at the meet John?

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom