All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

That Mark VI sound?

jrbleau

There is a distinct sound I have only heard on Mark VI saxes. It seems to happen when transitioning between notes. I was at a music club the other week and a local sax repairman/musician/close friend of mine was playing a solo on an older Vito tenor and I heard that Mark VI sound when he transitioned between lower notes on a solo. I later praised him for a good solo and told him that it sounded like a Mark VI on the lower notes. He told me that he put metal domed resonators on only the bell keys up to Eb. I was "hooked" on that sound and promply ordered some oversized reso-tech domed resonators for my '54 Martin tenor. They should be in at the end of the week. Does anyone have any experience with the effects of resonators. Because most people I talk to say they don't make any difference in the sound, that it just adds volume. Whats your experience with them? Has anyone ever played a Martin with domed metal resos?

dubrosa22

My SML has domed metal resos. I never tried it with plain plastic resos or anything else so I can't say it added or subtracted anything tonally.

I've heard a LOT of Mark VIs in recordings but not that much at very close proximity live in person (nor have I ever played one) so I can't comment on whether or not without the domed metal resos make my sax more or less VI-like.

FWIW Mark VIs, as I understand it, originally came stocked with plain old plastic resos on orange/brown Selmer pads.

milandro

I have just had my Super 20 repadded with white roo pads (yes ® ;} >:) inside joke!) and very large flat tenor madness brass resonators.

the horn had previously plastic domed resonators. In my opinion the horn sound more or less the same and it would be impossible to establish the exact contribution of the metal resonators as opposed to plastic ones.

thomsax

I have flat ResoTechs sterling silver on my Martin Magana Tenor and my HR Comm I tenor. I can't hear any difference between brown plastic resonators or resotechs when it came to timbre/"tonecolour". But the saxes plays louder with oversized resotechs.

Thomas

jrbleau

Thanks for the input. I get my '45 The Martin Tenor out of the shop sometime this week. I just had a repad with Ferree pads and no resos. My tech will be putting the metal dome resotechs on Ferree pads on my '54 The Martin Tenor. It will be interesting to compare the two and maybe share a couple sound files here and let you judge. It will probably be a month or so since my tech is very particular about his work on my saxes. I guess if a person is really looking for that Mark VI sound he should buy a Mark VI. But I really love the sound of Martins and if I could mix the sound of the Martin with the Mark VI sound I heard come out of that old Vito simply by putting domed resos on, I would be the happiest sax player ever.
I read an article somewhere that someone was experimenting with plastic resos and grinding off the back a little and glueing them onto the little rivets in the middle of the pads. That sounded like a good idea, but like everything else in life, I'll dive in head first without testing the waters.

milandro

interesting to know that you will be doing a direct comparison with and without resonators.

I was wondering about this and frankly speaking when I chose my new resonators I did it on aesthetic grounds and on the assumption that the larger the better. Glueing the resonator on top of the pad is a strange choice if you had work done to your horn but I would also be interested in hearing whether this has any influence on sound volume and or intonation because the more domed a reflector is the more it becomes a part of the tonehole taking more space out the air column radiating from the tonehole.

jrbleau

Very good point! I was afraid to do it because of that reason. I was told the keys may have to be "lifted" to account for that. On a Martin that may be difficult but nothing ventured, nothing gained. My sax tech told me that there is a little bit of room to work with on the Martin. The very thought of changing what Martin had originally designed-pads with no resonators-scared me a bit but I have heard people having great results with the flat resos. I am hoping that the domed resos have a positive effect on the sound because of the air/waves leaving the holes at an angle verses flat resos. Guess I'll have to wait and see, it's a $500.00 gamble. I believe installing the plastic resos with glue was intended for trial on older pads, not a repad.

Tim

I was tuning my 2 horns the other day. M6, 66 thou series, Yamaha 62-2 , 3 years old. My M-6 tunes from high c sharp down to low c. The Yamaha only tunes high c sharp to mid c without moving the mouth piece. My teacher said, you got a really good M-6. I use Leger and Fibracell reeds. 2 and 2.5 Both horns sound good with them. Tim

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom