All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Thank you to Saxyman

Pauline

Subscriber
Starting a new thread because I don't want to hijack someone elses.

Dave, (Saxyman) I owe you a big "thank you" for posting a review of the sax course at Knuston hall a year or two ago! :welldone
Because of that review, I plucked up the courage to go on the course last April where I met (besides yourself and QWales) two lovely ladies, Rosemary and Glyn form York who encouraged me to join a community band in York.

Well, I've been playing in the band for six months now and absolutely love it! I have learned loads and had so much fun playing in two concerts. I now have a purpose to my playing and it is all because I was inspired to go to Knuston by your review!

I think the best piece of advice I could give to new players is to find such a band as soon as possible. The experience is invaluable. Don't be put off by inexperience. There are bands that take people who are complete beginners. The idea is to learn from others in the old brass band tradition.
If you get the chance, try it!

Thanks again Dave, and see you in April!

trimmy

One day i will...
I fully understand how you feel OM (official moll) as i did the same during the summer after Tony (Rico vandoren) introduced me to MWO http://www.maghullwindorchestra.co.uk/index.html and i feel it has helped me along with my sight reading, timing, amongst other stuff. The biggest buzz is performing with the orchestra :D (mistakes and all) but as Pauline says if you do get the chance take it :thumb: with both hands.

ps. check out the gallery at MWO i'm on pic 3 & 16 :D in drag !!

pps. check out pic 14, Ms Vandoren ;}

Last edited by a moderator:

Di in France

That's great - I wish I could find a group around here - not likely as we're in the middle of nowhere in France.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
That's great - I wish I could find a group around here - not likely as we're in the middle of nowhere in France.
Strangely enough, a friend of mine runs a jazz club in the middle of nowhere in France and is thinking of running summer schools there.

Mind you, France is a big place I just discovered, but if he manages to get it organised I'll post it here.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Play days, weekends and summer schools are great ways to meet other people interested in what you do, immerse yourself in music, and to generally have a great time.

I've made a few friends through choral summer schools, early music summer schools, orchestral summer school (first one last year), viol weekends, early music weekends, early music and choral workshops. After this week, I can include a sax workshop!

Joining a band/orchestra is a great way to improve and have fun. Twelve months ago I joined a community orchestra with the cello, expecting to play in the beginners' orchestra - I was immediately asked to play in the main orchestra, so I now play the alto sax in the beginners' orchestra (the sax line is very basic, so I could probably do with moving on). I would never have dreamt of playing such difficult music on the cello had I not joined the orchestra. It's demanding, but it is fun.

This web site http://www.amateurorchestras.org.uk/ is a good starting point for finding groups (includes wind/brass bands and orchestras etc)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Couldn't agree more about joining a band or orchestra especially if you are a beginner, I have thoroughly enjoyed my rehearsals and am learning so much. If you are thinking about it stop thinking and just do it;}

Jx

Di in France

Thanks Pete, just had a look at their site. Unfortunately they're nowhere near us, but you never know, I may be tempted by a little summer school holiday.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Just to add I've taken the plunge and signed up for a community wind band based in Shrewsbury - first rehearsal in a couple of weeks time....

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom