Regards
Allansto

Last edited by a moderator:

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
Hi - they should be played with a slight stress (no noticeable attack) and should be held for the full duration of the note. :)

Whoops - cross post with Colin

allansto

Locality
Frankston Victoria Australia
Ok
Im getting a little confused
My music book says
Tenuto notes should be played smoothly and connected, holding each note until the next one is played .
How is that different from playing notes that are just normal. ?
Allansto

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
the tenuto mark may alter either the dynamic or the duration of a note. Either way, the marking indicates that a note should receive emphasis

Seems to me you are left with lots of room for artistic interpretation. Louder and rubato. Loud and run them together.Some sort of emphasis. If it's a classical piece, I wouldn't growl.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
Ok
Im getting a little confused
My music book says
Tenuto notes should be played smoothly and connected, holding each note until the next one is played .
How is that different from playing notes that are just normal. ?
Allansto
IMHO it's not!
I think sometimes it is used in pieces where there are also Staccato notes marked, or accented notes.
The point being that the notes should held for the full duration (vs staccato where you are on and off in the blink of an eye)
dah vs dat

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
I think I agree with MandyH here. Tenuto is telling you to make sure you give the note full value. It may be a 'cautionary' direction (like cautionary accidentals) reminding you that the articulation has changed. If you're not changing form marcato or staccato, it is likely to indicate holding it on a bot longer with some rubato as suggested (but not enough to warrant a fermata (pause)). See wiki for more info

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Below is a sketch of how I teach the relative note articulations to my students. Articulation has to do with both the manner in which the note is started by the tongue and the note's duration. Notice how the "regular" notes (for want of a better word) are slightly detached compared with the legato notes. Tenuto on the other hand is generally an emphasis of a note or notes in a phrase by "stretching" them and slowing the beat slightly. As such "tenuto" is less like an articulation and more like an expression marking in the music like fermata, ritardando, or rubato.

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
So, du dat a bot longer, avoiding dat where possible, dats all...........................................:shocked::w00t:;}

Instead of "bap bap bap bap, bap bap bap, bap" its "barp barp barp barp, barp barp barp, bap"

allansto

Locality
Frankston Victoria Australia
I think im sorry I asked this question
bot u so funny Tom.
Al.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
So, du dat a bot longer, avoiding dat where possible, dats all...........................................:shocked::w00t:;}

Instead of "bap bap bap bap, bap bap bap, bap" its "barp barp barp barp, barp barp barp, bap"

It's a sax, not a trumpet ;}

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
It's a Pearl & Dean reference, though may be more appropriately played on a high brass instrument. Anyway back to my flugelhorn...................................:thumb:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Locality
The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
Thread drift? Yes but I'm really interested.

How do you pronounce that word? Is it Ten-U2? Surely one is more than enough?

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Thread drift? Yes but I'm really interested.

How do you pronounce that word? Is it Ten-U2? Surely one is more than enough?

"Ten you toe"----as in the response to "How many toe I got".

Staff online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom