support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

SOLD tenor & soprano mouthpieces

brianr

Account Closed
Price of Item
£30-£110
Time to sell off some of my mouthpieces. ( alto versions will follow, sometime)

To save long descriptions of each, I can just say now that unless I say otherwise, they all are in very good condition.
All are all original facings/tip rails etc.
none have ligature and cap, unless I say otherwise. However, I have loads of caps and ligs and these can be provided if needed.

I can provide pictures to anyone interested. just send me an e mail address.

Postage will be what it costs. I would prefer overnight, guaranteed by lunch next day, insured and signed for. about 6 pounds ish, I think, to UK. I can check on this figure this week.

I am on the look out for a vintage Otto Link tenor mouthpiece, metal. If anyone has one of these, I would be very keen , and am open to some kind of deal with my mouthpieces.

TENOR
1)BERG LARSEN... Metal. lay is : 110/2 SMS
Comes with original metal cap, and non original ligature...
100 pounds SOLD

2)LAWTON 6 star.
these ones with the plain numbers are the least bright of the these. as opposed to the B and BB versions. This version was his most Link like model. I find them a little brighter and with a bit more projection than links. this is an old version, but is in fantastic condition. original sliding lig and cap.
In original black box.
250 pounds SOLD

3)Otto Link Super Tone Master. Metal. lay is 8.
I dont know how old this is. It isnt a vintage one, but neither is it a very recent one. the tip and side rails are thinner than the more recent ones.
110 pounds

4) MORGAN FRY. I know very little about this. it has no model name or number on it. It may well have been a prototype, but I dont know.
I would say it is in the 7 or 7* range of tip opening. possibly a vintage link copy. That is how it feels and blows. In fantastic condition.
275 pounds SOLD

5) OTTO LINK Tone Edge. Ebonite. lay is 5. great condition. you want stan getz... this is it.
50 pounds SOLD

6) SELMER S80 model. C star lay. looks virtually unplayed from new. however, a few blemishes around
shank end as it has been in my mouthpiece bag for about 15 years !!
40 pounds.

7) SELMER S80 model D lay. tip and rails good, but slightly discoloured
30 pounds

8) SELMER S80 model E lay all good. a few signs of teeth on bite plate, but nothing that you will feel.
40 pounds

9)BUESCHER marked TRUE TONE lay is 3
the true tone was basically a 1920s and 30s sax. This doesnt feel or look like that to me.
The chamber looks like an old selmer soloist, with a kind of horseshoe. it is longer than mouthpieces from the 30s era. more like a Selmer S80.
Soundwise, its in the same territory as the S80s. I prefer it to them.
It is white in colour
30 pounds

SOPRANO

1) YANAGISAWA i know nothing about this. in fact it doesnt say the name Yanigisawa on it. But it does have their badge on the top. possibly an early version.
Lay is 5, which is written on the shank. plays great.
40 pounds

2) SELMER S80 model. lay C * very small ding in top right corner, which I can try to show in photos, which doesnt have any impact on playability.
30 pounds SOLD

3)RICO. I think it is called graftonite
Lay is B5
20 pounds SOLD

MOD EDIT: See post 41 for price reductions

Last edited by a moderator:
Your Tenor Berg- is it a bullet baffle or a straight across (also- any chance of pics of the tip and rails, I'll send you my email address)?

jules, I will reply here too as it may help others.

it is a straight across baffle.

thanks for your message. I will get some pictures to you soon.

thanks

jules, I will reply here too as it may help others.

it is a straight across baffle.

thanks for your message. I will get some pictures to you soon.

thanks
please do... always interested in a good Berg

please do... always interested in a good Berg

This Berg Larsen is now sold and paid for.
To a man who knows that you cant really have too many mouthpieces.:)

Jules, I will post it tomorrow. you will have it Thursday morning. Thanks again.

Donation made to Cafe.

a man who knows that you cant really have too many mouthpieces.:)

Many thanks.... I'm actually remarkably controlled when it comes to mouthpieces (pretty much a necessity where I work). In the last years I've only really gigged on three tenor pieces- a Metal Berg 115/2, an Ebonite Berg 110/2 (spot a pattern?) and a Theo Wanne Amma. Actually- forgot one- a PPT tweaked by Morgan Fry for crazy harmonics (cannot for the life of me work out why I got rid of that one... though I suspect being broke might have had some bearing on that)

This is a thing?

Do tell
I got an early model PPT, loved the feel but found it quite unresponsive for harmonics and altissimo. I sent it to Morgan Fry with the request to liven it up in that department and ended up with an absolutely wild piece which was hair trigger responsive overblowing and harmonic playing. I played it on a European tour with Sandy Dillon and got really into that aspect of the thing- I've got some recordings somewhere and by the last gig I sounded like a cross between my usually grungy R&B, a Jimi Hendrix feedback blowout and a Theramin (not for everyone but I liked it!)

Received with thanks- and a particularly impressive shock resistant packaging method you've got there! Nice mouthpiece too- a classic big, booming Berg. The nicest one I've come across recently.
Many thanks

Jules, thanks to you too for a very easy transaction.

and a particularly impressive shock resistant packaging method you've got there!

LOL....
yes I went for overkill on the polystyrene.
Sorry, it must have taken you forever get to the mouthpiece.:)

@brianr is the Morgan Fry metal or ebonite (black or marbled) ?

And pictures of it ?

Rhys

That Berg's a bit of a monster, It seems to really come into its own with a big airflow put through it. Cue much- "Dad, you're being too noisy" in my household last night! >:)

That Berg's a bit of a monster, It seems to really come into its own with a big airflow put through it. Cue much- "Dad, you're being too noisy" in my household last night! >:)

great news. Im really pleased to hear that.

I tried it before posting, and although not for me, it did sound like it played as it should.

Apologies to your kids.

got an early model PPT, loved the feel but found it quite unresponsive for harmonics and altissimo. I sent it to Morgan Fry with the request to liven it up in that department and ended up with an absolutely wild piece
That got me to thinkIng...I have a metal 8* PPT that's been superseded by a 9*

I've asked Morgan Fry if he will make the 8* even less polite... should be an interesting experiment

Back
Top Bottom