All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Tenor Saxophone with Selmer and Yanigasawa stamp on and London?

staguk

Hello all

Can anyone help me as i have come across a Tenor saxophone with Selmer and Yanigasawa stamp on and London? it is circa 1978 and also has the word "Foreign" on the engraving. I am told that it was made for Selmer by Yanigasawa hence the double stamp on it, also has the word engraved Pennsylvania on. Not sure what i am dealing with here plus any hints on value would be nice.

Keep blowing everyone

Best regards

Chris

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
I've vaguely heard of these, it will be Selmer USA, not the same company as "actual" Selmer (Selmer Paris) so no need to get excited. Pennsylvanias can be quite good but not in the to league IMO.

Justin Chune

What you are dealing with is a student level instrument, made by Yanigasawa, for Selmer. Selmer farmed out the production of these to various manufacturers and I used to have one that was made in eastern europe. It was a great playing sax that is not worth the price of an overhaul these days. That Yani might be different though.

Jim.

jonf

Sounds a bit odd to me. I have owned a Selmer Pennsylvania, which was an Eastern European student sax. Pretty good player for a 1970s student sax. However, Yanagisawa also used Pennsylvania as a 'stencil' name for their own saxes, which were vastly better quality. Similar concept to the Astro sax I still own. Yanagisawa used Western sounding names to market their own instruments in countries where there was a lot of prejudice against anything Japanese. What I haven't ever heard of is a Pennsylvania bearing bothe the Selmer and Yanagisawa badges - one or the other, yes, with the Yani badge signifying better than the Selmer one.

ManEast

Selmer super pen/yani from 1969

Hi
Don Mackrill can give you some info on this horn. In the 80's I did some work for his old friend Laurie Naiff. I am sure Luarie told me that this was the first Yanagisawa to come to the U.K. (By Selmer England) Its very much like the Yanagisawa T500 & Like alot on yani horns this is based on the MK6.

Kind Regards.

ManEast.

http://www.donmack.com/pages/about-us

Last edited by a moderator:

staguk

Hi Maneast
Thanks for your reply. On further investigation i do believe there is some sort of reference to the T500 on the base, so maybe its is a Yanigasawa after all?, it plays very well is responsive and easy i thought very similar to the T901 i once tried in a shop so you never know, but this obviously reflects on any offer price i guess.

Regards

Chris.

ManEast

Yanagisawa

Hi Chris.

You sould post some pic's of the horn just to confirm the Model. It could also be a Model T5. As for price ...its hard to say as it may need a re-pad. The last T500 I picked up for a friend, from ebay cost £400. But it later cost over £300 to re-pad. Nr all the pads were rock hard.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom