All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Tenor Sax Shopping - $1400 Budget

Lazz

Locality
Calgary, AB
You've got $1400 (Canadian - call it $1300 USD) for a tenor - including any mouthpieces and setup fees (if necessary). The goal is a tenor capable of playing a bit darker stuff but still capable of some bright fast jazz. Priorities are ease of fingering for a less experienced player and durability.

What make and model do you buy? What is your mouthpiece, reed and lig setup?

I'm looking forward to some great answers (and hopefully some ideas!)

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
My best advice is go to the best wind instrument store in your area and try every horn within your budget and see what works for you - there is so much gear on the market nowadays, and it's easy to get distracted - Yamaha is a good reliable brand but try other brands as well...

Happy sax hunting...

Greg S.

thesaxman71

Lazz, there is a great buffet 400 tenor in the yard sale, i am not the seller nor am i connected in any way but i have actually owned this model of sax and they are great saxes and way above the price tag and a top instrument, i suggest contacting jobylou who is selling it here.
bargain...

zelda

On the border
Locality
British Columbia interior, Canada
Howdy, Lazz. You snooze - you lose! Just kidding!I bought a 70s Yamaha YTS-61 tenor sax a couple of weeks ago from a guy in Red Deer for $1200. I went to Kijiji Musical Instruments for Alberta and there it was. I love that horn. I'm near Kindersley in Saskatchewan, a five hour drive from Red deer or Calgary.

Here are a couple of suggestions. I have a used Yamaha YTS-23 tenor horn that I purchased from St. John's Music in Edmonton about five years ago for $1000. It came with a six month warranty. It has served me well and I would not part with it. St John's Music is in Calgary, too. They are the dealers in western Canada for Yamaha and usually have some used horns. Also check out Long & McQuade at their three Calgary stores. The north store has the most horns I believe. Sometimes they will have a Yamaha on a trade-in. And check out Calgary Kijiji but you'll have to be the judge of the shape a horn is in. Buyer beware!

I bought a used alto, a Yamaha YAS-23 at the south Edmonton store a couple of years ago for $500. It came with a 90 day warranty. I've been able to continue the warranty for $40 a year. If I drop the horn down my basement stairs, it's still covered by the warranty. Unbeatable! I was in Regina a couple of months ago so I dropped the alto off at L & McQ there. The tech had a look at it and did a few adjustments. Cost to me? $0. But if you want to rock, go with the tenor.

I'm partial to Yamaha by the way. I'm new to the saxophone so I won't comment on mouthpieces, ligatures, and reeds other than to say I started with a Hard Rubber (HR) Meyer #7 medium and went to a Guardala MBII silver-plated metal mouthpiece. I use Java 2 1/2 reeds in the red box.

I read many of the posts here and listen to the music posted by the members. Based on what I've read and heard, I'm starting to develop preferences for certain mouthpieces. Stick around here. Some of the members are very experienced sax players and are very knowledgeable.
Jim

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
You don't say if you're starting, or have some experience.

You'll get a lot more for your money by buying used in good condition. A warranty from a reputale store is a great benefit, but not essential - take someone along who can play and check it out. Also budget for a tech to look it over if it's coming from a private deal.

For this sort of money there's a lot of choice. Don't forget the lesser known brands - Like Beaugnier, Grassi professional, R&C, B&S, Hohner, you should be able to find a decent Keilwerth as well for this sort of money.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
If you have a tutor then ask them first. If you don't have a tutor then I suggest that you get one first and listen to their advice as well. Good luck and enjoy

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Would definitely recommend trying as many as you can if that is possible :)

Jx

Lazz

Locality
Calgary, AB
Well, already this has been a helpful thread!

I neglected background I guess, but I do play already, albeit on a bari. I've got about five years' experience, but only recently picked the sax back up after a decade long hiatus. It's been coming back fairly easily though, and over the past few months I've really started to get my chops back.

I've always wanted to play a tenor, so I figure now is a good time. I'm not at all opposed to used horns if the value is good, but I don't know a good tech in the area (recommendations welcome!)

I've popped into Long & McQuade in the south (on 58th Ave) but their prices seemed really high - a Yamaha YTS-26 student model tenor was over $1600 - so I'm a bit reticent to pursue them.

I've been to the St. John's music centre down the road as well for guitar related stuff and I do remember drooling over some of the Cannonball horns they had on display - I'll have to check back with them to see if they've got anything in my price range.

Zelda, sounds like you got an amazing deal there! Keeping an eye on Kijiji is very good advice - I think I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a used private sale sax if I knew of a good tech in the area though.

Thanks all for your tips and recommendations - keep 'em coming!

zelda

On the border
Locality
I'm off to Saskatoon on Tuesday and will be checking out the Cannonball tenors at St. John's Music. There was a review posted here a week or so ago on the Cannonball Vintage Reborn. I was looking for it before I replied to your post but couldn't find it. Hopefully, someone will read my post and provide a link. This is a gold-plated review; not just about how the VR plays but also on the build quality. Worth checking out.

A little friendly advice: if you find that you are using words like 'daunting', 'horrendous', 'blimey', etc. in everyday conversation, that's a sure sign that you're spending wwaaayy too much time here. ;)
Jim

zelda

On the border
Locality
Thanks, Jeanette. I've bookmarked it now for future reference.

Lazz

Locality
Calgary, AB
Whelp, I've checked the only two places in Calgary I can find that sell saxes, and it was not good.

Long & McQuade have the following saxes for sale:

Jupiter 587GL $1250
P. Mauriat Le Bravo 200 $2150
P. Mauriat PMST 86UL $2995
Selmer STS280R $2175

Plus a bunch of horns over $2500 (read: out of my price range)

St. John's Music only carries Yamaha in-store now, and their 280 was $2199.
I asked about the Cannonball horns I'd seen there in the past and was told that they are still a retailer, but Yamaha is what the school boards want their students to buy. I guess your average Cannonball sax took literally years to sell.

Neither store had any used Tenors for sale.

So, I'm not really finding anything yet - the quest will continue! For now, I'll console myself with some Dexter Gordon style blues ballads on my bari. :(

zelda

On the border
Locality
I checked out the tenors for sale in Calgary on Kijiji earlier today out of curiosity. The pickings are slim for sure.

Lazz

Locality
Calgary, AB
Yep. Even looking at all of Alberta, it's not much of a marketplace. And I still don't have any leads on any vendors of some of the taiwanese brands anywhere near here.

Insert big sigh here, but I've got lots and lots of time to shop - If it takes a couple years to find the tenor of my dreams, so be it.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom