All profit supporting  special needs music education

Saxophones tenor sax identity please?

thesaxman71

::::
can anyone tell me what make this tenor sax is please, it is a blurred picture but maybe someone will know maybe from the distinguishable neck or key covers etc...
thanks

bilde (1).jpg

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
The neck brace tells, but I can't remember which maker it is. French, I think.

thesaxman71

the neck brace and separate key guards on the low B and B flat give it away but i can not remember, it has got my head done in here aaargh haha

edit, i know what it is,
it is a Borgani

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Pierret also had separate low B/Bb guards.

thesaxman71

i just cross referenced the separate key guards and neck brace and it is a Borgani
phpjaIcJdPM.jpg

this is not the same sax but it is same make i am sure after closer looking and cross referencing the 2

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Would be worth looking at SML as well...

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Would be worth looking at SML as well...

Or Pierret...
My first thought was SML, but they sold their tools somewhere in the far east and there are some SML looking horns that have nothing to do with the original (stunning) horns.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Or Pierret...
My first thought was SML, but they sold their tools somewhere in the far east and there are some SML looking horns that have nothing to do with the original (stunning) horns.

I've heard that "SML" took over Malerne factory in the mid 70's! My former tech and friend work at SML ("on the line", makeing altos and tenors) in the late 60's and early 70's.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
My former tech and friend work at SML ("on the line", makeing altos and tenors) in the late 60's and early 70's.

The saxophone community would be grateful if he could provide more info about those lovely instruments.

I own a Gold Medal alto from the early sixties and my feel is that they were simply too expensive to make to compete with Selmer. My specimen looks like it has been chewed by a mastiff, but it is still a masterpiece.

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
the neck brace and separate key guards on the low B and B flat give it away but i can not remember, it has got my head done in here aaargh haha

edit, i know what it is,
it is a Borgani

yes it is

and yes, Malerne was indeed incorporated in SML in 1975 (but that has nothing to do with this horn which is definitely a Borgani)

Last edited by a moderator:

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
SML saxophones remained in production until 1982 when SML stopped only the production of saxophone while they still had a sizeable production.

The company which was an holding, continued existing until not long ago when it has been sold to different buyers. I have visited their offices and met their last director Mr. Roland Miane.

They were importing music instruments in France (and reselling them also to other countries) and had a chain of music shops in France , owned Marigaux woodwinds and B&S.

thesaxman71

I am thinking 60's or 70's Borgani but no idea what model or value, yes i will be buying it as a project.

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
yes, perhaps more ’70 than ’60.

I see these horns being offered every now and again and they they go for around €750 overhauled.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I am thinking 60's or 70's Borgani but no idea what model or value, yes i will be buying it as a project.
You are as mad on GAS as me!!
I'm just about to buy another too.... yes, damn it, it's a Yamaha, well sort of. But one of a similar age to my YTS-23 so maybe will sound just as good, hopefully, but then why do I need three altos! Why do I have three tenors!? Why...why...why...

Must get down to one of each. Must get down to one of each. Must get down to one of each. Must get down to one of each.
Must get down to one of each. Must get down to one of each. Must get down to one of each. Must get down to one of each.

:w00t:

thesaxman71

You are as mad on GAS as me!!
I'm just about to buy another too.... yes, damn it, it's a Yamaha, well sort of. But one of a similar age to my YTS-23 so maybe will sound just as good, hopefully, but then why do I need three altos! Why do I have three tenors!? Why...why...why...

:w00t:
GAS is good!
I LOVE IT

Top Bottom