support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Flutes etc. Tenor Recorder (Yamaha YRT304B)

Dave Mac

Honest, I'm Trying
Locality
Home is Aberdeen Scotland
After having my cancerous prostate whipped out I had to have a catheter inserted into my bladder for about a week. When I had the catheter removed (day before yesterday) I discovered that I would have to re-learn how to control my bladder!! So, for instance, when I blow my nose - I stream a fair bit of urine. Of course that means blowing my sax is out of the question for the next few weeks.

So I decided to get something "a little gentler" to blow, and got a tenor recorder. It has a lovely tone, as you would expect from a Yamaha, even the student model. So I'm hoping to master the rudiments whilst waiting to get back to my saxes. Just goes to show - every cloud had that silver lining!!

I do find the tone-holes to be quite a stretch though, and assume I will "flex" into them. Any new recorder players out there find the same problem (or I should say - challenge).?

Dave.

speedy recovery, good to see you are still thinking about playing and music in general, a great focus.

Can't help with the recorder, but best wishes and hope things improve soon.

Nasty one. Hope you recover quickly. Good luck with the recorder. Quite a few teenagers here playing them, so you should come right quite quickly!

Usually on this forum we suggest taking leaks to a tech, and if they can't fix it try another tech. Failing that get a new sax... ;}

Tenor recorder great for blues. Slide the fingers slowly over the holes for bent notes. Almost as good as a trombone.

Recover soon.

You could just use this and carry on with the sax

images

Usually on this forum we suggest taking leaks to a tech, and if they can't fix it try another tech. Failing that get a new sax... ;}
Ha-Ha. This is one leak I'm going to have to fix myself - like the idea of a new sax though!!

I played a Yamaha tenor recorder before I took up the saxophone. IMV it is a greatly underrated instrument, and no requirement for reeds. I picked it up again a few weeks ago and found that i couldn't get a sound of it. The problem is that I am blowing too hard. But anyway, enjoy it.

I think it's not uncommon to have some initial issues with tenor recorder fingering. There are lots of local recorder groups round the country, so playing with others shouldn't be an issue either. The Society of Recorder Players (SRP) has regional groups.

I saw that Four Seasons performed in Barnstaple by a virtuoso recorder player

Danish she was

Just thought you'd like to know

Push the flat of the palm between any pair of fingers and twist, to gradually increase the distances you can comfortably reach.

If there is a loud cracking sound, you've gone too far.

An alternative is to use Piper's Grip, where fingertips are not used to seal the right hand holes but any part of the fleshy, straight fingers. Works on low D, C and Bb keyless flutes as well as bagpipe chanters but never tried it on a recorder, so why not have a go?

Have fun with the recorder and get well soon.
But to record a recorder, do you need a recorder recorder?

Just realised, this won't be a pruple logo. I hope you realise that you'll lose all credibility unless you upgrade to a clapped out pruple logo, even if it's a student model pruple logo...

Have fun with the recorder and get well soon.
But to record a recorder, do you need a recorder recorder?

And it must be recorded by a Recorder from your local sessions.

Just realised, this won't be a pruple logo. I hope you realise that you'll lose all credibility unless you upgrade to a clapped out pruple logo, even if it's a student model pruple logo...

I`ve actually got an ivory coloured Pruple logo descant somewhere, it`s made of real 100% Japanese plastic too, not one of those grotty wooden things , Yup, it`s Genuine plastic and in a Genuine cloth bag made of 100% real Japanese cloth from Japan with a Yamaha logo on it in GOLD with a little tub of real Yamaha joint grease (not lard !!) and a real plastic Pokey stick ..
The Mollenhauer is made of unhygenic wood and comes in a really un-cool case lined with fur (how 1970s Cortina is that !), the pokey stick is made from a twig too and there`s not a Pruple logo in sight ...

:)))

I`ve actually got an ivory coloured Pruple logo descant somewhere, it`s made of real 100% Japanese plastic too, not one of those grotty wooden things

The Mollenhauer is made of unhygenic wood and comes in a really un-cool case lined with fur (how 1970s Cortina is that !), the pokey stick is made from a twig too and there`s not a Purple logo in sight ... :)))

Typical German junk.

anything else is junk, no need for jealousy or purple envy now haha

Last edited by a moderator: