support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Tenor harness

Woowar

Locality
Newcastle
Hi I have just bought a tenor saxophone and am struggling with neck and back pain. Please can anyone recommend a suitable harness or strap to help reduce the pain? Thank you

I use a Balam strap - very comfortable

The Jazzlab Saxholder is also good.

In either case the key is to bend the hard shoulder-pieces so that they fit you.

I went through this about 18 months ago. I tried a BG harness, which is fairly standard design and a BG brace comfort which attaches to your belt or pants at the back. Both work to a reasonable extent but I found the brace easier to use. The standard harness is fine for relieving the strain but with a tenor it puts your thumb in awkward place which soons causes pain in the thumb joint. The clip is too close to your body. I suspect this may not happen without other size horns but did with my tenors. The brace version allows freedom of movement.

I used the brace pretty successfully for about 6 months and during that time I did exercises to increase the strength of my neck and shoulder muscles. I will still use the brace but in the end I got bored with attaching it to my pants and bought one of the newer Cebullas with the wider connector and better padding.

The Jazzlab does what it says and does seem to reduce the weight but I couldn’t get comfortable with the feel, others will recommend it wholeheartedly and if it works for you it is a good choice.

Any of these will help but for my money the best way to go is the brace and some exercise.

feel, others will recommend it wholeheartedly and if it works for you it is a good choice.
I certainly would, although I’m aware some people have a problem with it when sitting down. I get back pain a lot, but the saxholder mitigates that, even when playing bass.

Usual non-shill disclosure: I did get mine free,

I certainly would, although I’m aware some people have a problem with it when sitting down. I get back pain a lot, but the saxholder mitigates that, even when playing bass.

Usual non-shill disclosure: I did get mine free,
The sitting down bit was awkward although the new version is said to address this, the odd thing for me was the feeling that I couldn't control it, that is was floating, which I suppose is what it's about. I've heard the same from other tenor players but nothing about that from alto players although I don't know why. I certainly regretted that it felt uncomfortable for me as otherwise it did the job.

Unfortunately I paid for all of mine and it can get costly after you've bought a few. I probably know a place where I can try to sell one of them.

The problem I have with the Saxholder Pro (the new one) is that the shoulder support digs into my neck after a while when I am playing seated. I keep meaning to wrap it in something soft to see if this helps.

I second the Jazzlab Saxholder suggestion. I have no problems with it. The big advantage of it is that it takes the weight off your neck and puts it on the shoulders which hardly notice it. I use it for alto and tenor.

Another vote for the Jazzlab Sax Holder. It does feel strange and 'floaty' at first until you get used to it. be prepared to spend a fair bit of time tinkering with the shoulder bars to get it just right - they are made of fairly substantial metal, adjust a little, play for a bit adjust some more etc.

Thank you all for your help and advice, I’ll have a look at all those recommendations

The Sax-holder is indeed very good. I got one with my second hand Bari-sax. I use it all the time for my bari.
For tenor I use a harness like this: BG S40 Saxophone Harness. And that is good enough for the weight of the tenor, and a bit easier to take with you in the case.

Have a good harness I dont use anymore its the BG one I was going to put it on the yardsale...

I have thought about looking there, haven’t worked out what type to get yet.

Yes, I’m seeing this. Stupid question but are the harnesses different for men and women?

ooh I dont know... not sure the sax holder would make a difference...Im a podgy little bloke and the BG and sax holder are both fine....

Thank you I will take a closer look at them both, thanks again

Hi I have just bought a tenor saxophone and am struggling with neck and back pain. Please can anyone recommend a suitable harness or strap to help reduce the pain? Thank you
I have similar back problems and have found the Jazzlabs Saxholder to be a great help and can be used for either alto or tenor.
I can also recommend solpadeine max as a last resort

I have a Saxlab which is currently redundant as I can no longer play tenor, it is not the newest version.

I shall be advertising it soon along with a Fazley alto case which used to house my Selmer which I sold recently and my Vito/Beaugnier alto won't fit (left-handed bell keys) I intend to have the Vito completely overhauled (yes I know I won't get the money back but it's worth it to me) will be my only saxophone.

Back
Top Bottom