support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner teeth pads to or to not?

They are a good idea as they protect your mouthpiece from bite marks - which keep its value up - especially when you are a beginner and prone to the likelihood of 'biting' too hard on the mouthpiece.

I started without one, but soon put one on. I found that the reverb through my skull for the bass notes was just a bit too much for me. I don't bite - I've had the same mouthpiece patch on for 3 years - so it might just be because my front teeth are crowned and the vibrations travel better.
I borrowed a friend's mouthpiece once recently, without a patch, and found the whole things moved around in my mouth.

Went for years without them on the logic it was just something else to get in the way business.
I damaged a few mouthpiece bite plates even though I don't bite hard. Then when I bought a used mouthpiece that had one on, I never looked back. It was thin, transparent, extremely tough and only comes off when you are ready to pull it off.
So the trick for me was finding those qualities.
If it slips, feels bulky, or you can bite through it's a hinderance.

If it slips, feels bulky, or you can bite through it's a hinderance.

The ones I got are comfortable enough, and they stay put. I love the feel of them.

But they do seem to be getting bitten through already. So that's not good to have to replace them all the time.

I got the black Vandoren thickness 0.80mm or 0.32 inch.

Like I say, they are perfect in terms of comfort, and they stay put really well, but not too sure about the durability. They also make clear ones. I wonder if the clear ones are anymore durable?

A "yes" from me too, especialy useful if your teeth aren't completely aligned, but they stop your teeth slipping anyway. I've found Vandoren clear ones are very good (as recomended by Griff), but Yamaha ones are very soft.
YC

There is another big advantage that has not yet been mentioned. That is for beginning players, the patch helps them to put the teeth in exactly the same spot every time they play. This consistency along with setting the neck strap to exactly the same length every time to keep the mouthpiece at the same angle goes a long way to quickly develop good tone production right from the start. For this purpose the thicker, softer patches tend to work the best.

I have the 0.8mm black rubber ones. But like I said, the original is still in place after 3 years - no tooth marks at all, but a bit of salt marking. It has never moved or come adrift.

BTW I've seen a couple of players with some sort of white plastic slip that they put in their mouth over their bottom teeth, so I guess it sits between their teeth and their bottom lip.

I don't need one, my bottom lip rarely suffers even after a 3 hour band practice, but what are they for??

BTW I've seen a couple of players with some sort of white plastic slip that they put in their mouth over their bottom teeth, so I guess it sits between their teeth and their bottom lip. I don't need one, my bottom lip rarely suffers even after a 3 hour band practice, but what are they for??

Some players who have jagged or irregular lower teeth suffer from irritation of the inner part of the lower lip that goes over the teeth. One of the common remedies is to cut a patch out of EZO denture cushions. When held under hot water the wax softens and the patch can be formed over the bottom teeth to make a soft cushion for the lip to sit on.