support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Teaching an old dog new tricks.....

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
Account Closed
Locality
Burgess Hill, West Sussex
Hello everyone,

I picked up a saxophone for the first time on 31st December 2012. I wouldn't have put it down since but for having to go to work. I think I have SAX OCD:)

I would like to start by saying how invaluable the information has been on the forum, I don't know what I would have done without it.

I am the proud owner of two lovely saxes and I have impressed my teacher with my alto tone & playing after the first lesson. Lucky he hasn't heard my tenor!

Thanks again for all the inspiration in the site to date.

Dee

Welcome Dee, it can become rather addictive, enjoy:)

Jx

Hi Dee, Looks like you've been got!
No turning back now.
Andy

Welcome to the caff©, Dee.

You must have arms like body builder.:w00t:

ENJOY!
​™

Hi Dee - a very warm welcome and enjoy your new obsession - it beats the hell out of housework and mundane tasks like work :)

Welcome to the cafe Dee :)

Enjoy your sax journey :thumb:

Enthusiasm is a pre-requisite of true enjoyment; keep it up and welcome to the caff.

Dave

Welcome Dee,

I am another with a Sax obsession, out of choice I wouldn't do anything else.
Enjoy your sax journey, and hope we can be of more help along the way.

Welcome, Dee. I'm an old dog myself. I tell the young pups on the job that an old dog can learn new tricks if he wants to. Jim

Hi Dee and welcome to the cafe. Now is a great time to be playing the saxophone.

Jim.

Hi Dee, Hi!

A Big Welcome from The Skabertawe Red Altos, often seen soaring over the beaches of Gower, mind.
If you can produce a good tone on the alto sax then you are already getting somewhere. People who
aren't able to do that often turn to the tenor sax for respite.

Kind regards
Tom

Hi Dee, Hi!

A Big Welcome from The Skabertawe Red Altos, often seen soaring over the beaches of Gower, mind.
If you can produce a good tone on the alto sax then you are already getting somewhere. People who
aren't able to do that often turn to the tenor sax for respite.

Kind regards
Tom

Ho Di Ho Tom and thank you!

It's interesting that after just a few days on tenor I now have a good tone (well the sax does, I'm sure it's not me!) and although I cannot yet blow the lowest or highest notes very well, the rest is easier than the Alto. I expected the opposite. The action feels really quick too. I practice both daily and start with Alto. when I get to the tenor, even though I can do less, the playing seems so much easier. Don't understand, especially as my Alto is a Yani, supposedly the easiest to blow.....

Dee

Cheers, Dee!

Generally the bigger the sax the easier to play, and the easier the intonation. Many folks do find it harder to get a pleasant tone on the alto. What is the rest of your equipment - mouthpieces, reeds, ligatures etc? The Tenor does require more puff, though not as much as either a trumpet or trombone.

Cheers, Dee!

Generally the bigger the sax the easier to play, and the easier the intonation. Many folks do find it harder to get a pleasant tone on the alto. What is the rest of your equipment - mouthpieces, reeds, ligatures etc? The Tenor does require more puff, though not as much as either a trumpet or trombone.

Hi Tom,

I'm using Yamaha 4c on both, with 2.5 RICO royal on alto and 2 on tenor. I got a Yani ebonite 6 with the alto and tried it. I could get a good sound using it but it wasn't consistent - a bit too big of a tip opening for a beginner - so I stuck with the 4c. I use a rovner versys lig on the alto and a rovner dark on the tenor.

I'm hoping in 6 months or so to experiment with a more advanced mouthpiece.

Dee

hello sax...dee ....va

well im sorry to say...... at the rate youre probably progressing at ,you will outgrow the 4c in no time.
I know this because I too have been there.

until my previous instructor gave me a try of his selmer 80e and there was no turning back.
I went out that week and bought one straight away because my tone improved out of sight and so did my confidence etc.
Im not sayin that the selmer is the one for you.... but ......you think youre hooked now .............wait till you get a mouthpiece that loves you back............

In druggies terms
youre only smokin pot....... wait till you try the hard stuff.
Regards
Allansto

Well my GAS with mouthpieces may be on the horizon. I have bought a soprano sax (curved). I was wondering if it would be too hard to play but all is well.

I'm finding it fantastic just to learn new stuff on, practice sight-reading and practice scales and patterns. It doesn't seem to have affected my alto or tenor playing. I've played it with some backing tracks too, it's lovely and I can just sit on the sofa with it and noodle.

When I start upgrading mouthpieces it's going to be 3 times more expensive! Fortunately my Yamahas all have a good tone on the Yani and both Mauriats, but one day I will try something else and prefer it........

Dee

For Soprano just get a Bari Esprit - only £14 and superb. For Alto get the Windcraft Ebonite Etude for £49 and for Tenor get the Windcraft Ebonite Etude for same. All in an upgrade will cost £112 in total - Sorted!

Back
Top Bottom