Teacher Wanted Teacher: North Shropshire / Cheshire / N. Staffs / N Wales ish

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
I'm feeling the need for more sax lessons. The teacher I had was a woodwind tech and he lost access to the facilitiy he used for teaching.

For once, I would like a musical activity to not be an hour's drive away...

If I draw a 25 mile radius circle around me it would cover Nantwich, Crewe, Chester, Wrexham, Shrewsbury, Telford, Warrington. A little further would add Stoke and Stafford.

Liverpool, Birmingham and Manchester are all between 45 and 55 miles and an hour or more by car.

Has anyone any suggestions for something that does not involve me adding huge miles to my mileage? I would probably looking for an hour once a month.

I work near Knutsford in Cheshire, so somewhere in that area is feasible.

Ads

Sorry folks , no idea - I`m way too many years into my sax playing career to have ever have even thought about it myself and any new sax players I`ve known of in the area have used the usual Youtube University method

tenorviol

Subscriber
I popped into the woodwind shop in Shrewsbury for some reeds and asked if they had a list of teachers. They did and I got details of someone who lives less than a mile away. They don't seem to be on the web, which is why I hadn't found them.

Rang them up and I will have a lesson when eye has recovered. They like the idea that I don't have problems reading music and that I have G6 theory

ProfJames

Elementary member
I popped into the woodwind shop in Shrewsbury for some reeds and asked if they had a list of teachers. They did and I got details of someone who lives less than a mile away. They don't seem to be on the web, which is why I hadn't found them.

Rang them up and I will have a lesson when eye has recovered. They like the idea that I don't have problems reading music and that I have G6 theory
That would be a God send to most teachers! How is the lens doing? I want to get the left eye done now.......

rhysonsax

I saw this thread a bit late ...

A really excellent young professional tenor sax player called Liam Byrne lives near Wrexham and gigs around the North West. I saw his band (BBQ) play at Swanage in 2014 and had a nice chat with him after "meeting" him via SOTW and buying his CD.

I don't know whether Liam gives lessons, but you could contact him via his website: Liam Byrne Jazz Saxophone and do try to catch his gigs when he is playing anywhere near you.

Good luck.

Rhys

tenorviol

Subscriber
OK, well it was early June before my eyesight was fully sorted and I've finally sorted out a lesson with the local teacher. She seems to be an experienced woodwind teacher, teaching recorder, flute, clarinet and sax. Had a good hour and a half session with her. My basic technique seems to be OK, but intonation needs work. Rather scarily, she has rated me as being around G4, I had rated myself as G2-3.

I don't have much in the way of tenor peices, mostly they're for alto. I do have the Bach Sonata in Gmin, which I think the slow movement is doable. So took that along, and she had me playign the first movement as well! Sight-reading...

It'll be good for me...

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
Boismortier sonatas are fun. I don't feel the same weight of history on my shoulders as I do with Bach.

Or how about something jazzy?
"The Good Tempered Saxophone" has some nice short pieces at different grades. Or Dirko Juchem "Jazz Ballads."

jbtsax

old and opinionated
Subscriber
That's great. At age 68 I started taking lessons again and I'm having lots of fun. A tenor player I admire and like to listen to is Stephen Pollock, a student of James Houlik, and the tenor player in the New Century Saxophone Quartet. There are a couple of CD's he has recorded that bring out the lyrical nature of the tenor sax that I thought might interest you.

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
Here's a not very good recording of someone playing the Bach on tenor - balance is poor.
I think you should play it quite a lot faster than this. We await your sound clip.

This one is for soprano sax, so I reckon @Jeanette should be on it shortly.... :w00t:
I'm sure that @Jeanette would be sufficiently well-organised to turn the music to the right page before the start of the piece.

I agree with @trimmy - the piece seems more suited to sop than tenor. Especially the second movement.

Here's a version I like.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWDA3JTIzeg

tenorviol

Subscriber
Most of my sax sheet music and books are for alto, relatively little for tenor. So after Tuesday's experience I ordered a pile of stuff from Amazon - 3 piles of stuff to be precise.
Recently, we have had Amazon Lockers installed at work, so I gave them a try. Wednesday's order arrived at work yesterday. Since I was having afternoon tea with Café peeps, that had to wait until today. Went to lockers, keyed in code, locker pops open, my first package there. :thumb:
So yesterday I order two lots of stuff. I want my stuff for the weekend, so opt to pay the premium for next day delivery. By the time I left the office at 5 today, no deliveries, despite items being 'out for delivery' according to the tracking since 10 this morning.
Call Amazon. They say that delivery can be 07.00 to 19.00. I say what use is that for someone who keeps roughly 9 - 5 hours? They check, commercial sites are supposed to get deliveries before 17.00 which makes more sense.
If I had opted for standard, non-premium, delivery they would arrive tomorrow. At 19.20 I got delivery notifications for both of them - so outside of their agreed SLA then.
As the office is an hour's drive away (see earlier rant) it will be Monday before I get them.
Not amused.

No replies to threads here, this is listing only. Please contact teachers/students by PC.
Top Bottom