Tutorials

Saxophones Tasty cache of Selmer, King, Conn, et. al. saxes at UK auction

AndyWhiteford

I wouldn't normally mention a sax or two for sale, but there's sale in Newcastle, UK coming up with a fine collection of vintage & original instruments.
take a look:

I've no connection with the auctioneers or the goods for sale, caveat emptor, the fog on the tyne is all mine, etc.

OP
AndyWhiteford

AndyWhiteford

LOT 139 looks, to me, the choice of the two Silversonic tenors, as near mint as you can get for a 55 year old hooter.

rhysonsax

Some of the guide prices look attractive but you have to add 32.34% to the selling price to cover VAT and commissions.

Rhys

georgesax

Subscriber
for those members who are not a professional musician and are interested in buying via online auction, you are protected by the Consumer Right Act 2015. however, if you buy at an actual face-to-face auction, you are not protected by the Consumer Right Act 2015. it is worth checking your rights.

I have no connection with this seller too.

I was interested in buying a Selmer SBA alto before. but after trying a Yamaha Customer Z tenor, I have many doubts. Yamaha is very free blowing and very easy to play compared with a Selmer SA 80. I have not tried a Yamaha Customer Z alto, I am thinking that I may prefer a Yamaha Z to a SBA. I will then defer my purchase.

DavidUK

Not the place for a bargain, but where else can you find such a treasure trove.

sizzzzler

The catch is the sellers. if we had more who ignored ebay fantasies and sold for what they would recover at auction we’d all be better off.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
I was interested in buying a Selmer SBA alto before. but after trying a Yamaha Customer Z tenor, I have many doubts. Yamaha is very free blowing and very easy to play compared with a Selmer SA 80. I have not tried a Yamaha Customer Z alto, I am thinking that I may prefer a Yamaha Z to a SBA. I will then defer my purchase.
Yamaha make good horns. I was with someone yesterday who had upgraded from a Jupiter sop to a Selmer. She then asked if I'd ever considered upgrading my Yamaha 62! There is a belief amongst some that Selmer is THE brand to own.

I just don't subscribe to it. I briefly tried a Selmer and many others, they did nothing for me. The only other horn that has tempted me is a Sequoia K91.

Don't choose on brand name alone, choose the one that speaks to you when you play it :)

Jx

Last edited:
Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom