PPT

Beginner Taming The Sax vol 3

Alsax

Pete
I have a copy of your "Taming the saxophone - vol 3" & I'm slightly confused by Ex1-01. take the Am7 the in the key of C, the arpeggio going up makes sense and when descending back down to the next chord in the sequence the F is natural. when in the key of G (page 5) going up the Am7 arpeggio is fine but when descending the F is sharp to fit with the key. If I'm saying the chords to myself when doing this exercise I am confusing myself because I am playing Am7 with an F natural in C & then with an F sharp in G. Can you put me straight.
Alan

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
Pete
I have a copy of your "Taming the saxophone - vol 3" & I'm slightly confused by Ex1-01. take the Am7 the in the key of C, the arpeggio going up makes sense and when descending back down to the next chord in the sequence the F is natural. when in the key of G (page 5) going up the Am7 arpeggio is fine but when descending the F is sharp to fit with the key. If I'm saying the chords to myself when doing this exercise I am confusing myself because I am playing Am7 with an F natural in C & then with an F sharp in G. Can you put me straight.
Alan

That is expected, as there is an F natural in the key of C and an F# in the key of G.

The Am7 chord is the same in both, the descending scale is different because it is the scale of the key - that snipet of scale is purely to lead to the next chord, it isn't actually related to the Am7 in any respect other than it joins it to the following chord arpeggio and is in the same key.

The Am7 has a different function in these keys : in C it is chord VI and in G it is chord II.

Note that TTS3 is labelled as intermediate/advanced - it's probably a good idea to get to grips with TTS2 in regard to the theory up to that level.

Last edited:

Latest: Members' Recordings