SYOS

talking sax...

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
At last saturday night's gig I held quite a long 'joke' dialogue with the singer of the band.
it's a trick I remember Bo Diddley doing (on guitar) years ago when I saw him in Leeds- the obvious vocal effect is the chromatic run down laugh but I've found loads of other sneers, snarls, mutley like giggles, shouts etc which are great for a daft bit of singer/sax player banter in the middle of certain types of gig. "You see that girl over there!?" Sax- ascenting bend "eh?" .. "there!" ... Harmonic wolf whistle..... "hey, that's uncalled for!"... crestfallen downward bend ... etc etc....
Now- I've never come across anyone else doing this, but it seems such an obvious trick I can't believe it's not been done at some time in the past (King Curtis with the Coasters? Sam Butera? Boots Randolph? etc)...
Mr Thomas, Thomsax, any ideas?

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
I been doing the chro laugh for yonk's,also when any 1 gets caught messing up i do the Laural and hardy tune in altissimo,the old circus theme,benny hill etc.They get some good laughs at times.Well its there fault for messing up,right.

OP
Jules

Jules

I'm particularly pleased with the phrase "crestfallen downward bend"... might name a solo album that!!!

thomsax

OP
Jules

Jules

Thom- Love the clips! That's exactly what I'm talking about! I love sax gordon's playing... ! Actually you've reminded me- with my new second band, definately need a clip on mike (check these guys out- http://tinyurl.com/kwedqc - perfect band for an extrovert, slightly cartoony, punky R&B honker.... like myself!)

AlanB

I was just going to say exactly the same thing Thomas. I read this thread yesterday and was trying to find the clip of Sax Gordon on YouTube 'talking' and 'laughing' with the audience but their seems to be suddenly a lot more clips of him to wade through and I couldn't find it. The one I was looking for, I seem to remember, was in Aarhus or Aalborg or somewhere in Jylland. Thanks for the clips.

P.S. I'd love to see a clip of DaveySaxBoy doing something similar. Any footage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom