All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Talk about being versatile

saxyman

Went to see the Medway Swing Preservation Society play the other night and it was excellent.
But what amazed me as well as the saxophonist, was the pianist, who at one time was playing the keyboard with his left hand at the same time as he was playing the trumpet in his right. Good or what?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Bet he graduated from one of those one man band outfits - kazoo and mouth organ on a frame, drum on his back, cymbals between his knees..... >:)

Seriously, sounds like a neat trick. Hope he was having as much fun as you.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
there's a guy in amsterdam who comes out busking carols at christmas- playing a small pipe organ, trumpet & steering the boat he's sitting in- all at the same time!

Lodger

When we had a narrow boat I found I could steer it with the tiller wedged just below the small of my back (to put it politely) while holding a mug of tea and a bacon butty (in my hands) as long as I stood up and there were no sharp turns.

Although I haven't tried it, I suppose I could play the sax at the same time as playing our (player) piano if I could find a suitable roll.

Sunray

Bum Tiller ...

When we had a narrow boat I found I could steer it with the tiller wedged just below the small of my back (to put it politely) while holding a mug of tea and a bacon butty (in my hands) as long as I stood up and there were no sharp turns.

Although I haven't tried it, I suppose I could play the sax at the same time as playing our (player) piano if I could find a suitable roll.

Do you have a permanent smile on your face still?

Young Col

It's the thought of those sharp turns that makes me wince!
Do you really have a player piano Lodger, with rolls?
YC

Lodger

YC

Yes I do - it's a Marshall & Rose, dated about 1st WW I believe. Unfortunately it's not working at the moment, until I restore all the plumbing again (last did it about 30 years ago) and it could do with restringing. It's a splendid instrument; although an upright, it is bigger than a baby grand, and just as powerful. A wide variety of rolls as well.

Young Col

Lodger
Fascinating. Never seen one in the flesh. I went to Finchcock's piano museum in Sussex the year before last (on OGs recommendation) and among all their exhibits they did not have a roll player. I asked and they said they would like to get one.

Rolls were cut by many eminent musicians, including Rachmaninov, in the early 20thC as they gave a very accurate representation of technique, better reproduction than early phonograph recordings as well. Many early jazz pianists apparently learnt by copying the key movements of slowed down rolls. I believe the only piano duet recording of James P Johnson and Fats Waller was on piano roll.

Takes some expertise to make them play well and clearly quite a lot of maintenance as well! Diverts from the thread, but an interesting diversion!
YC

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
And... You can still get the rolls. At least that's what Corin told us a few years ago when we went there. Fascinating place! He demoed one of the pianos with a genuine Rachmaninov recording. And to see & hear a Wurlitzer at close quarters....

milandro

there's a guy in amsterdam who comes out busking carols at christmas- playing a small pipe organ, trumpet & steering the boat he's sitting in- all at the same time!

you mean this guy! :)

He also jams with the glockenspiel player of the Westerkerk which is facing the canal in front of Anne Frank's house where obviously a lot of people queue up .

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Col

Well I never knew about that Kev. Used to go to Cornwall - and that part as well - a lot when my sons were small.
YC

saxyman

The thread has seemed to have gone off on a tangent, bit of fun though.
Incidentally the guy I referred to was not busking, he was extremely good, very talented.

milandro

The thread has seemed to have gone off on a tangent, bit of fun though.
Incidentally the guy I referred to was not busking, he was extremely good, very talented.

threads often do especially when there is not too much too be said about it, yes it is goo to be able to play piano and trumpet at the same time but it is not so terribly unusual and the trumpet is an ideal instrument to do so because it leaves you another hand to play while remaining completely functional

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
you mean this guy! :)

He also jams with the glockenspiel player of the Westerkerk which is facing the canal in front of Anne Frank's house where obviously a lot of people queue up .

That's him.. spent many a christmas watching him playing carols on the canals..... lovely

saxyman

It was'nt just only because he was playing both at once, but he was playing with other band members at the same time and it was real good swing jazz.it was a very professional arrangement.

Top Bottom