All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

SYOS in the Café

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Ok I looked up PPT mouthpieces and found some impressive reviews from those who know far more than I do.

What’s the difference between the onyxite and the black HD pearlescent?

What’s the difference between a PPT 5 and PPT 6?

Here’s a great review.

A metal PPT mouthpiece

Now I know something about them.

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Seriously?

We obviously need a new marketing manager!
And to be fair about this, here is your introductory page about them. It doesn’t really tell members about the mouthpieces and why they are so special. I had to dig around for the information and I AM interested in them.

CliveMA

Today I ordered a 4c Yamaha soprano saxophone for $28.60 in Canadian dollars. Oddly enough I checked on amazon Canada and they wanted $86.90. It pays to shop around.

I don’t have a problem getting any of the notes with the mouthpieces , I currently have. It’s more that I’d like to experience the saxophone with the mouthpiece made for it. Plus I watched a video the other day of a famous saxophone player who was demonstrating a variety of saxophones and this player said that the 4C Yamaha mouthpiece is an excellent mouthpiece at a great value.

Maybe I’ll work up to getting others but I am quite pleased with the price. It will be here within 2 days. Squeal. :sax:
For the price, consider a 5C and a 6C, too, for slightly wider tip openings as some find the 4C thin in the octave high notes. (Actually I think biting embouchure makes 4C thin not 4C per se).

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber

CliveMA

For the price, consider a 5C and a 6C, too, for slightly wider tip openings as some find the 4C thin in the octave high notes. (Actually I think biting embouchure makes 4C thin not 4C per se).

The 4C has a small tip opening which limits volume unless the player is able to exert minimal pressure on the reed to allow it to vibrate fully. The 5C and 6C allow more volume for same effort. The tonal palette is potentially richer with the wider openings. Even at the widest 7C, the Yamaha tip openings are relatively narrow compared with other mouthpieces.

Owning multiple Yamaha mouthpieces in 4C, 5C, 6C can save you money over time with reeds. You can use a given reed on say a 4C until it gets too weak with increased usage, then switch the same reed to a 5C then a 6C. This takes advantage of a wider tip opening suiting a weaker reed. So, for the one off cheap outlay on the Yamaha mouthpieces you save long term on reed costs!

CliveMA

Can you elaborate on this a bit please , as I don’t understand it ?
Biting the reed chokes off the reed vibration, limiting the volume. I found at first the 4C sounded thin in the second octave for me. When I experimented with how much mouthpiece in mouth, with what angle mouthpiece entered mouth, with voicing with oral cavity combined with looser embouchure, that I could get a much fuller sound with the 4C.

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Biting the reed chokes off the reed vibration, limiting the volume. I found at first the 4C sounded thin in the second octave for me. When I experimented with how much mouthpiece in mouth, with what angle mouthpiece entered mouth, with voicing with oral cavity combined with looser embouchure, that I could get a much fuller sound with the 4C.
I think that’s the exciting part about trying different mouthpieces . It shakes up the same ol’, same ol’ way of playing and pushes you to change your embouchure and learn more about how to change the sound you create.

Now I understand what a baffle is in an exhaust system but what does it mean in a mouthpiece?

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Maybe you could do something like this for PPT?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um8gqUEI3MQ

Starring, in order of appearance: Geovany Chavez Andrew Cox Dan Forshaw Eden Bareket Chloe Feoranzo Arpad Dennert Francesco Bigoni James Evans Tivon Pennicott Lihi Haruvi Yuval Cohen Jure Pukl Steve Kortyka Liza Bec Leland Whitty Dayna Stephens John Aaron Troy Tomoaki Baba Arthur Medvedev Eric Croissant Lorenzo Ferrero (backing track)

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Maybe you could do something like this for PPT?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um8gqUEI3MQ

Starring, in order of appearance: Geovany Chavez Andrew Cox Dan Forshaw Eden Bareket Chloe Feoranzo Arpad Dennert Francesco Bigoni James Evans Tivon Pennicott Lihi Haruvi Yuval Cohen Jure Pukl Steve Kortyka Liza Bec Leland Whitty Dayna Stephens John Aaron Troy Tomoaki Baba Arthur Medvedev Eric Croissant Lorenzo Ferrero (backing track)
That’s impressive. I love the bright lime green. I wonder if they can make hot pink. :manicure::happydance:

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
What’s a PPT mouthpiece?
I thought yours were SYOS mouthpieces?:confused2:
Sorry! :rofl:
And to be fair about this, here is your introductory page about them. It doesn’t really tell members about the mouthpieces and why they are so special. I had to dig around for the information and I AM interested in them.

There is obviously some confusion. PPT are our own brand. SYOS is another company. The only relationship we have with SYOS is that we are part of their affiliate scheme, ie we receive a commission when a SYOS mouthpiece is sold due to the advertising link here. They are technically two competing brands.

There is an important back story:

A little while back a UK retail shop started to advertise SYOS mouthpieces with an affiliate scheme and posted the links here to their own affiliate scheme, hence making money from posting here. Generally we do allow and encourage dealers, manufacturers and retailers to post here. However we very resonably ask that if making money from posting here, that they take out a commercial subscription and that they create a link from their site to our site(s).

In this case the retailer not only removed their link back to the Cafe, but when politely invited to take out a commercial subscription (which would cost a fraction of the financial return they make), they publically objected, refused to even discuss it and started to malign/badmouth Cafesaxophone and its moderators on social media.

Due to these and other posts, there became quite a lot of interest in SYOS here, and as it was in direct competition with our own brand, I decided that the best thing to do would be to become a SYOS affiliate ourselves which may mitigate some of our losses and this is what happens. We continue to advertise our own brand but also advertise SYOS and get paid for every sale on the SYOS store which uses coupon code CAFESYOS. We sell fewer PPT mouthpieces due to this of course, but overall the affiliate scheme works very well. In the end we make a lot more than we would have done if the original retailer had continued doing this here as the commercial subscription is very low compared to the commission per per month.

Both SYOS commissions and PPT profit support the Cafe and goes to our fundraising

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
As I own both PPT and Syos alto mouthpieces, I would like to state that they are in no way similar, (other than that they are both alto mouthpieces :) ) I don't recall or wasn't here when the commercial incident happened, but forums occasionally are abused in this way. When told politely, usually it stops with an apology. The forum is not a place for commercial posts except when someone is able to actually help or offer an appropriate service. Even then, the suggestion would tend to come from someone else, rather than the person offering it.

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
There is obviously some confusion. PPT are our own brand. SYOS is another company. The only relationship we have with SYOS is that we are part of their affiliate scheme, ie we receive a commission when a SYOS mouthpiece is sold due to the advertising link here. They are technically two competing brands.

There is an important back story:

A little while back a UK retail shop started to advertise SYOS mouthpieces with an affiliate scheme and posted the links here to their own affiliate scheme, hence making money from posting here. Generally we do allow and encourage dealers, manufacturers and retailers to post here. However we very resonably ask that if making money from posting here, that they take out a commercial subscription and that they create a link from their site to our site(s).

In this case the retailer not only removed their link back to the Cafe, but when politely invited to take out a commercial subscription (which would cost a fraction of the financial return they make), they publically objected, refused to even discuss it and started to malign/badmouth Cafesaxophone and its moderators on social media.

Due to these and other posts, there became quite a lot of interest in SYOS here, and as it was in direct competition with our own brand, I decided that the best thing to do would be to become a SYOS affiliate ourselves which may mitigate some of our losses and this is what happens. We continue to advertise our own brand but also advertise SYOS and get paid for every sale on the SYOS store which uses coupon code CAFESYOS. We sell fewer PPT mouthpieces due to this of course, but overall the affiliate scheme works very well. In the end we make a lot more than we would have done if the original retailer had continued doing this here as the commercial subscription is very low compared to the commission per per month.

Both SYOS commissions and PPT profit support the Cafe and goes to our fundraising
Sincere apologies on my part for not knowing this. I honestly was confused and thought I was supporting your craftsmanship along with the site.

Is there a thread on this site for PPT mouthpieces? Actually I’ll hit the search button later on and do some more research.

I’m so sorry for my mistake. It sincerely was an honest one.:blush: Now I see the word collaboration in the first post which I didn’t see first time around.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom