Tutorials

SYOS in the Café

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Are they sending them out straight off the printer? I'd assumed they would need hand work on the facing.

Does anyone know what 3d printing technology they are using?

I have made a mouthpiece on an LCD resin printer. I designed it in Fusion 360 and although it's playable it sounds awful and plays about a quarter tone flat. The internal dimensions are very approximate so that wasn't unexpected and I consider it a successful proof of concept. I think the internal volume is too great and the baffle is a bad shape. I did do some light sanding of the table and rails just to remove the layering artifacts (0.05mm layers). I doubt I'll take it any further. I don't have suitable tools to measure the inside of an existing mouthpiece accurately (and don't even know what they would be) and my CAD skills aren't really up to translating such measurements into a 3d model.
That's where these guys for I'm SYOS are good. They worked on the geometry vs sound output. The obvious tech is 3D printing, but I think a but if hand finish wouldn't hurt. By a qualified mouthpiece expert of course...

I wasn't expecting smudges, smears of blurs as you'd find on casted products.

randulo

Playing saxophone 20 months - 2.3% of my life
Subscriber
I can say Arborio
But can't I use carnaroli?
It took a while, but I got it. Seems I lost track when composing that sentence. It happens more and more often when you get older. There's a third kind as well. Back to the topic, touts les goûts sont dans la nature. I try the mouthpieces, stay with what I like. I reserve declarations for when I have experience. I have that with Carnaroli, Arborio and Syos, Vandoren, Yamaha, PPT, and Selmer.

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Since starting the cafe SYOS sales we've now made €264 in just over a month.

So that's not bad (= commission on 8 mouthpieces) although I do wonder if any of those might otherwise have bought a PPT which is obviously slightly in competition.

However in an ideal worlds people would buy both, you can't have too many mouthpieces

randulo

Subscriber
I have both and I've told you privately, i don't even think it's the same market, as the concepts are very different. Interested to hear what others say.

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I have both and I've told you privately, i don't even think it's the same market, as the concepts are very different. Interested to hear what others say.
I advertise both equally at the moment so I think it is totally possible the same people may consider one or the other. I can't hide from the fact that is the way I am marketing them at the moment.

I think the market is people looking for a mouthpiece at that kind of price so inevitably they might wonder about each.

randulo

Subscriber
Next step: use Google ads on keywords and follow people around the web when they search for any mouthpiece. (Joking!)

Mark Hancock

I guess there is a section of the market who would only ever buy a traditionally produced mouthpiece like a PPT. There is probably also a section who see the SYOS as a "must have", either because it's seen as cool, or "in", or they are drawn to the concept. I think most players with the means would be happy to have both. Or several...

randulo

Subscriber
It's my belief that there are many players, especially experienced ones, who would never consider a printed plastic mouthpiece. These are serious, down to earth people in all areas of life. Skeptics, they go only for "traditionally produced" as Mark put is so well, and probably the name brands. Or, they've already found the mouthpiece of a lifetime. On the other side are the experimenters, the lateral thinkers, those who must know for themselves what a printed piece might feel like, how it will play in the context of their playing. They may also be beginner or intermediate players, one to five years in, still searching.

The Syos pieces named for known players are a great idea, but you most likely won't actually sound like that player with the piece, because, well you all know why. I personally don't want to sound like anyone, although I would love to be able to play like them :)

I own 3 Syos. I bought a cheap soprano and I can't make a single note on the MPC that came with it, so I ordered a Syos and it works. It doesn't help my bad intonation, that's going to require a lot more work., and I don't play the soprano nearly enough. The other two are alto pieces with very different characteristics. I hope to do some recording soon to compare them.

Top Bottom