SYOS in the Café

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I'm happy to announce a new collaboration with SYOS mouthpieces. If you buy from SYOS using the discount code CAFESYOS you will get a discount of up to €13 Euro, but the great thing is you will be helping our fund-raising in aid of special needs music education.

In line with our non-profit policy, for every sale we will be donating all the profit from the commission we receive from SYOS.

More info to come...

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
To tie this in with the 'Name engraved on sax or mp' thread, could these have 'Cafe Saxophone' on them?
We are just selling them, ie we are now part of their agency referral scheme as with various other retailers. The difference being we are donating our sales commission. I may have been misleading when I said “collaborating”

malteof

Growing a beard
Subscriber
We are just selling them, ie we are now part of their agency referral scheme as with various other retailers. The difference being we are donating our sales commission. I may have been misleading when I said “collaborating”
Still, having a signature "Cafesaxophone" piece might be cool :)

randulo

Playing saxophone 21 months - 2.4% of my life
Subscriber
I would tend to agree that an optional "Café Saxophone" engraving would be pretty cool.

Phil

There is already a Mouthpiece Cafe brand. It might just lead to confusion.

When I began my business there was actually some folks confused with Phil Barone and Phil-Tone.

I still get the occasional email intended for him.

ellinas

Thanks for that even though I won't follow the Syos hype.
In all videos I ve seen players seem ecstatic when they play a Syos .... And I believe them ... Maybe the mouthpieces are so technically correct that make them easy to blow .... But in all those videos they sound tinnier than with traditional mouthpieces .... watch Chad lefkovic is an example. Or the curlywoodwind Bob guy. Joe lovano sound terrible. This a very very personal opinion. There seems to be something wonderful and something not there yet with those mouthpieces concerning the sound.
I know it's really unscientific but I feel a musical instrument takes from the mojo of the Craftsman.

I'm sure I'm wrong and old fashioned. Please don't blame me for being old fashioned and daydreaming :)

malteof

Growing a beard
Subscriber
Thanks for that even though I won't follow the Syos hype.
In all videos I ve seen players seem ecstatic when they play a Syos .... And I believe them ... Maybe the mouthpieces are so technically correct that make them easy to blow .... But in all those videos they sound tinnier than with traditional mouthpieces .... watch Chad lefkovic is an example. Or the curlywoodwind Bob guy. Joe lovano sound terrible. This a very very personal opinion. There seems to be something wonderful and something not there yet with those mouthpieces concerning the sound.
I know it's really unscientific but I feel a musical instrument takes from the mojo of the Craftsman.

I'm sure I'm wrong and old fashioned. Please don't blame me for being old fashioned and daydreaming :)
I didn't think Steve Neff's playing seemed tinnier than normal (see SYOS Chad Lefkowitz-Brown Signature Model Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece Review) but actually sounded really good :)

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
I bought a couple of signature taking advantage of the 50% discount in June. I'm not impressed with the 'print' quality. I had to 'fix' the facing of the alto. I should have send it back but I wanted to play it right away. Then the baritone one has a rather wide bore and wobbles when set in tuning position so I have to add layers of cling film to avoid the consequences. I sent that one back but they told me it's fine according to their own baritone. It's a Knoel Scott own and I noticed the picture of him playing his shows some kind of paper sticking out between the neck and the mouthpiece.

I like the concept, but not the execution. I am kind of disappointed. But at that price it was worth a try. I wouldn't buy another at full price though.

randulo

Playing saxophone 21 months - 2.4% of my life
Subscriber
Some people will tell you that that Arborio is the only risotto to use. Others will say Arborio. What you put in your mouth and the way you hear sound are both very personal. I know people who can't stand olives. I know people who could live on olives. When it comes to saxophone mouthpieces, no holds barred. It's a personal thing. It's your mouth, a very, very sensitive part of the body. I think saxophonists have confused the old saying,

"You can't make love to every (woman or man) you meet, but you owe it to yourself to try."

That was not about saxophone mouthpieces!

Dibbs

I'm not impressed with the 'print' quality. I had to 'fix' the facing of the alto.
Are they sending them out straight off the printer? I'd assumed they would need hand work on the facing.

Does anyone know what 3d printing technology they are using?

I have made a mouthpiece on an LCD resin printer. I designed it in Fusion 360 and although it's playable it sounds awful and plays about a quarter tone flat. The internal dimensions are very approximate so that wasn't unexpected and I consider it a successful proof of concept. I think the internal volume is too great and the baffle is a bad shape. I did do some light sanding of the table and rails just to remove the layering artifacts (0.05mm layers). I doubt I'll take it any further. I don't have suitable tools to measure the inside of an existing mouthpiece accurately (and don't even know what they would be) and my CAD skills aren't really up to translating such measurements into a 3d model.

Top Bottom