support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Synthetic neck cork - Valentino

DavidUK

Café Supporter
I noticed JBT's post here: http://cafesaxophone.com/threads/tenor-with-trepidation-arriving.14395/#post-187318

Saw Fraser's King Tenor yesterday with this installed. Looked and felt good, and allows a variety of differing diameter MPs to be fitted.

Noticed Fraser bought from ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Valentino...t=UK_Woodwind_Instruments&hash=item20ee668f55

Then went to the ebay seller's web site: http://www.karacha.com/Valentino-Saxophone-Neck-Cork

I've ordered two at £10.97 posted from Karacha direct. If you just want one, the price is the same (bar 1p) from either ebay or Karacha, although via ebay you can elect to collect from an Argos branch? (not good at this time of year!).

I do think they're having a laugh with the price. It does grow on trees after all. I can't wait for the Chinese to catch on. They reduced the price of patches from £2 each to £1 for eight including postage. I buy a sheet of self adhesive craft cork for £2 and use that.

Yes . I was forgetting it's synthetic cork. You can get ten neck sheets of natural cork from china for around £6.
I wonder what the quality is like for that price. Yes natural cork does grow on trees, but it can only be harvested every 10 to 15 years. Composite cork does not hold up as well as regular cork or synthetic cork. Several manufacturers tried to cut costs on their student horns a few years back and used composite cork. I can't tell you how many of those I replaced that had broken off when I worked in a music store.

The "good stuff" used in the repair trade is "press filled" 1/6" natural cork it costs anywhere from £9 ($14) to £12 ($19) for a 4" x 12" sheet depending upon the supplier. If one is lucky you can usually get 6 neck corks from a sheet.

The Chinese cork is quite good. As good as any other I've used. This silly Lelandais mouthpiece that I've adopted needs less than 1mm cork on the neck and rips it often. The composite cork lasts about the same as natural and being preglued and peel off, takes two mins to change. It's a love hate relationship I have with this Mp

Ads aren't you forgetting I'm the bloke rooting around the £1 shop for alternative use items? The silicone drops for sticking on the bottom of ornaments look interesting.

Are these synthetic neck corcks any good? I've noticed them and they and they seem an easier option than the traditional cork used on saxophones when you need to change it? From what I've seen they are basically peel and stick into place.

Nomad

Yes. They're expensive too, which should be right up your street :p

From what I've seen there is pence difference in price, buying from within the U.K., between cork and the synthetic stuff, and the synthetic stuff is cheaper, I've seen a pack of six synthetic neck corks, the yellow in colour ones if that makes any difference, selling for under £12.00 - either £10.99 or £11.99.

Nomad

Yes it is relatively expensive at six quid a shot for just enough for one neck but at the end of the day as individuals how often are we changing our neck cork? Not often, the Valentino stuff is peel and stick and it has a very strong glue.

Forget what? the 8 week wait and mess i was greeted with at the end of it, or you trying to shut me up when i dared to mention it the last time? no i never forgot..

I think Kev meant you should have added it as below :)

"which is great if you have a local techie....I have a local techie 4 miles away but he will never ever not under any circumstances lay a finger on any of my sax's again"