All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Synesthesia & Music

TenorVibes

Locality
England, UK.
Synesthesia & Music

I've heard of this about 10 years ago and have been captivated by it ever since. What an awesome condition to have.

Synesthesia

Synesthesia (American English) or synaesthesia (British English) is a perceptual phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.[3][4][5][6] People who report a lifelong history of such experiences are known as synesthetes. Awareness of synesthetic perceptions varies from person to person.[7] In one common form of synesthesia, known as grapheme–color synesthesia or color–graphemic synesthesia, letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colored.[8][9] In spatial-sequence, or number form synesthesia, numbers, months of the year, or days of the week elicit precise locations in space (for example, 1980 may be "farther away" than 1990), or may appear as a three-dimensional map (clockwise or counterclockwise).[10][11] Synesthetic associations can occur in any combination and any number of senses or cognitive pathways.[12]

What Is It Like To Have Synesthesia?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVC3E16FCrk

Seeing song through the ears of a synesthete
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LUbxfnpez4

BBC News - Word-taste synaesthesia Tasting names, places and Anne Boleyn
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENLcrbby-70

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
I’ve encounter several people who have it - one is both a musician and an artist and created a piece about how they ‘see’ a piece of music

TenorVibes

Locality
England, UK.
I’ve encounter several people who have it - one is both a musician and an artist and created a piece about how they ‘see’ a piece of music
Hi Tenor Viol

Wow, hahaha, an orgy of synesthetes. That must be really inspiring. Did having associations with them change your outlook on and how you approach music?

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
Hi Tenor Viol

Wow, hahaha, an orgy of synesthetes. That must be really inspiring. Did having associations with them change your outlook on and how you approach music?
No, not really. I know a number of music teachers and the subject of synaethesia has come up. I discovered that someone I knew through attending string workshops was doing an arts masters and a project combining their art and music through the perspective of their synaesthesia. I went to the exhibition of the project. I can't now remember the piece of music it was based on for certain, but I think it was the Mendelssohn violin concerto. It was possible to work out - with some assistance from the artist - what was going on in the music from the art work.

I found it very interesting. At the time it was the first time I'd had a serious conversation with someone who experiences it and to understand 'how' they 'see' music.

I suspect in some regards that we all have varying degrees of this, since colour is widely associated with music and mood. It's just that for most of us it is sufficiently minor that it get overwhelmed by the 'conventional' way of perceiving music.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom