symbols ????

half diminished

delta = Δ (type: & # 9 1 6 ; but not spaced out)

but how to do a half dimished? = Ø (option shift o on a mac)
or option o for a small one

Also:

∆ = option + J

© = option + G

® = option + R

√ =option + v

™ = option+shift+2

# = option + 3 (sharp)

€ = option + 2

∞ = option + 5

º = option + 0 (degree)

 = option+shift+k

Depends on the font. On older Windows there was the program 'Character Map' you could load up and then click on any of the characters and see what the code for it is.

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
O-O-ooops - old thread but for Mac users click on the character viewer for key combinations, if it's not accessible in the menu bar top screen right, go to Keyboard preferences and activate it there. Dey's all in der.

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
▻ Spike, can you explain more how the character viewer works to input characters on the forum.

☛☛ aha, sort of works ⦿➤ but only on some characters.

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
⧬ ❏ ℃ ℜ ∆ ⦱ ø Ø okay that seems okay for all kinds of stuff

Eerm I'm mobile right now on an old MacBook - seems to work - just have to find the character in the "character viewer" - (set it to "all characters") then enter from the viewer window - The "keyboard viewer" doesn't show up on this system for some reason but it does on my iMac will have to wait til I'm back at the roost. The keyboard viewer will be limited. The character viewer also gives the ASCII code. It's 2 a.m. and I'm a bit foggy, if this is no help I'll get back tomorrow. G'night.

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
☛ Here we are again - Last night I was using OS Snow Leopard - Character Viewer works differently in OS Mavericks - find the symbol - activate it - it then appears in the Font Variation window - double click it - it will then appear in the Forum Text Editor window at place of cursor ➔ - interesting to note Mavericks doesn't give the ASCII code, at least I don't know how if it does. Hope to have helped. Let me know if it didn't. gruss - spike

ø Ø ® ∆ »„‰¸˝ˇÛØ∏°

Last edited:
OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
Hmm, just seems double clicking works in mavericks. Although I wonder if these show on all Operating systems or browsers?

☞➧➥⟹♫♭☔1️⃣▵⦿⦿❤︎#✤

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
Reply to 1. Yes - that occurred to me as well - don't have a windows box here so I couldn't check it. I'll compare with an old G5 running Mountain Lion and older browsers and see what happens there.

Reply to 2. Yes I guess there must be a limit - Some of those symbols/pictogramms must be dependent on fonts loaded on the mac - but I'm only guessing.

all very interesting :confused: - best regards - spike

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
The emoji symbols are great, but so far the only one that seems to stay once you post is the umbrella, see above.

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
Umbrella doesn't show here - An apparently simple subject which turns out to be brutally complicated - I've now reached the end of my latin. :(

Top Bottom