support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Sweet-sounding 'Ballad' alto mpc?

Rogerb

Locality
Costa Blanca, Spain
Who's played ballads on one or more of the following:

- Morgan 6M
- Freddie Gregory MKII
- Mouthpiece Cafe NY
- JJDV NY
- etc?

What do you think is the 'sweetest-sounding' alto piece?

I can only comment on the Jody Jazz DV NY which I use on tenor. It is superb and one you should try.

Who's played ballads on one or more of the following:

- Morgan 6M
- Freddie Gregory MKII
- Mouthpiece Cafe NY
- JJDV NY
- etc?

What do you think is the 'sweetest-sounding' alto piece?

Hi Roger,

Your not getting tempted to try something new again are you?

I can't really help you on your quest but, if you get the 'Mouthpiece Cafe NY' and don't like it and want to pass it on can you let me know ;} Have you seen this:

All the best,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have seen it and it followed a recommendation for this from a very-experienced musician friend....luvverly, innit? :)

I have found that my JJDV doesn't seem to go quite as well with my new sax...for ballads... as the cheap no-baffle mpc which came with it, although the cheapo has too small a tip opening. So, once again, I am thinking..... :)

Oh, dear....

Yes, I have seen it and it followed a recommendation for this from a very-experienced musician friend....luvverly, innit? :)

I have found that my JJDV doesn't seem to go quite as well with my new sax...for ballads... as the cheap no-baffle mpc which came with it, although the cheapo has too small a tip opening. So, once again, I am thinking..... :)

Oh, dear....

What size tip opening - mine is a 7*? What reeds are you using? I now use Marca Jazz 3 and they work a treat! I have some 2s and 2.5s which you could try if you like.

My JJDV is a #6 and my elderly chops can only manage Jazz Selects in 2S, so I'd guess yours would be too hard for me...but thanks for the offer.
The cheapo is narrower...it's marked "5C" for what that's worth, and seems to work best with...of all things...a Fibracell Premier #2!! Go figger....the Fibracells don't sound at all good on my JJDV or Jumbo Java, but are very sweet on the 'cheapo'!

Oh, dear....

Hi Roger,

Had you thought about the regular Java either the 35 or 45, it has a rollover baffle and to me at least seems to be reasonable flexible and to have a pleasing sound although can be pushed, I've not tried the JJ DV or JJ DVNY, I daren't in case I like either of them, so can't say how the Java compares.

But the 'Mouthpiece Cafe NY' does sound attractive.

Best of luck with your hunt.

All the best,

Chris

My JJDV is a #6 and my elderly chops can only manage Jazz Selects in 2S, so I'd guess yours would be too hard for me...but thanks for the offer.
The cheapo is narrower...it's marked "5C" for what that's worth, and seems to work best with...of all things...a Fibracell Premier #2!! Go figger....the Fibracells don't sound at all good on my JJDV or Jumbo Java, but are very sweet on the 'cheapo'!

Roger

I'm going mad! I have tenor not alto reeds!!!

The JJ website says you should expect to 'use a harder reed than you normally do' so you might try some other harder reeds.

I would recommend a Selmer Soloist. Not sure if the new ones are as good as the vintage ones.

Thanks, Pete...I lost your original post and couldn't remember whether you said Soloist or another Selmer...which I won't mention so I don't mix 'em up again ;}

Roger,
Try and get your RPC back, order another from Ron and hope it arrives before they bury you or ask Pete to hurry up the PTA.

Thanks, Bill, but my RPC was the high-baffle one and had a sound indistinguishable (by my teacher & me) from the JJDV...I kept the DV because it was a bit more free-blowing.
Didn't you get the 90R....I think that's what Pete has, but he can never remember!!

I had a thought yesterday(yes, I do occasionally) that I might have some duff RJS reeds which are giving me trouble with the DV (I'm using a Fibracell Premier on the cheapo!)
Sadly, trying a few other reeds today, the cheapo still blows much 'better'....at least at the sort of volumes which don't annoy the neighbours and bring down low-flying aircraft.
If the cheapo had a slightly larger tip-opening, it would be really good with the BW!
(I'll haveta ask Martin if he's got any wider ones!)

Hi Roger,

I'm just curious to see if you have made any progress with your search, I suspect I may be wandering down a similar road in the future. I just can't decide if it's because I fancy a change, after all, variety adds a little spice to life, or because the mouthpiece I'm using isn't quite as warm as I'd like.

Having said all that, I've been trying out some Alexander Superial reeds and although they are like the Java reeds I've been using, they has something the javas don't, I can't quite put my finger on it but it's working for me at the moment.

All the best,

Chris

Thanks, Chris.... I have some Alexander DCs in 2.5 which do sound nice, but are a bit hard for the JJDV....maybe a little scraping...
I have got hold of a modern Soloist, which is OK, but.....
I think that the answer is actually practice & more of the same :)

Ballad alto MP

I have to agree with Pete re the Selmer soloist. I play a Buescher Aristocrat and inherited an old Soloist D with it. The previous owner had used it for many years. I tried various pieces but have come back to the soloist each time. Great tone and response with Rico Royal 2 1/2.
O.C.V.

I have got hold of a modern Soloist, which is OK, but.....

Hi Roger,

I've never looked at the Selmer mouthpieces, I assumed wrongly that they were more classically orientated.

I think that the answer is actually practice & more of the same :)

Yeah, that kind of goes the same for me, less faffing more playing! One day I'll learn.

Take care,

Chris

Well I think the Soloist E is definitely a bit too wide (hence its being in the Yard Sale!) at 80 thou, so am hoping the slightly narrower Mpc Cafe NY will be more suitable.
I've tried a whole bunch of reeds with the Soloist, but it's significantly harder to blow than the JJDV which I've now had quite a while.
I don't know why Jody recommends a harder reed with the DV...it certainly didn't work for me. It's a lovely mpc, and a lot better now that....on teacher's advice... I have removed the thick rubber pad....it has a very tough thin transparent one anyway and I think the rubber one 'gets in the way'.
But it's just a tiny bit 'raucous' for the 'sweet ballad sound' I'd like to attain.....(at a time when it appears so many are looking for a bright, cutting sound!)

My latest 'best combination' seems to be the DV with Superial DC #2.5 reeds....these (expensive) reeds do seem nice, but I find they do need the recommended 'breaking-in period'.

Hi Roger,

Is this a confession, I'm reading between the lines here but have you 'added to basket', are you soon to be an owner?
so am hoping the slightly narrower Mpc Cafe NY will be more suitable.

My latest 'best combination' seems to be the DV with Superial DC #2.5 reeds....these (expensive) reeds do seem nice, but I find they do need the recommended 'breaking-in period'.

I've been playing Alexander Superials recently and also went though the breaking in process, I have to say I really like them, although I may have to try the DC or the NY next. Glad to hear you're getting closer to your sound.

All the best,

Chris

The Mouthpiece Cafe pieces seem to be very highly recommended, as do the PhilTone and Morgan pieces. Look up Junkdude and email them about any advice you are looking for - they're a great couple!

The Ponzol Vintage HR is also very well worth considering - in 0.70, 0.75, and 0.85 sizes.

Alexander DC's are brilliant BTW and the two would be a pairing to consider for ballads.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Back
Top Bottom