PPT mouthpieces

Swab getting stuck

Captain Clive

Locality
Wyndham, WA, Australia
Finally received a cleaning kit in the mail today and tried to clean/dry the inside after practice. Dropped the weight through the bell and proceeded to pull the swab through only to find it got stuck right near the end. Looking into the body of the sax I could see a metal rod protruding into the body. It looked like an extension to a tone hole (hope I'm getting the terminology right). Is this normal I have searched the web and can find no mention of the offending protrusion. Don't laugh it's my first sax in fact it's my first musical instrument. It's a Jupiter Alto Sax.

Cheers Clive

It's the body octave key pip that extends into the tube. It opens instead of the neck pip when you play a G# or below. The pip in the neck probably has a similar extension.

It's the body octave key pip that extends into the tube. It opens instead of the neck pip when you play a G# or below. The pip in the neck probably has a similar extension.
Thanks, it extends quite a distance in and catches the swab. Is there a method to avoid this? The swab appears to be a chamois like material with a circular piece of foam under it.

Yes body swabs can be a tight pull at the neck end of the body - an inevitable side effect of the saxophone's conical bore. The only time I've had a serious problem was when I attempted to use the tenor swab on the alto and there simply wasn't room for it. I have also discovered that tenor sax pad savers will not go in all the way when inserted into an alto sax, no matter how hard you push. Can you guess how I found that out? I don't own your model of sax, so can't comment on the length of the octave pipe, but they are popular instruments, so I bet someone will be able to give you some first hand advice.

You could try cutting the foam to make a smaller circle. If this doesn't work, I recommend the LaVoz Pad Saver.

You could try cutting the foam to make a smaller circle. If this doesn't work, I recommend the LaVoz Pad Saver.
Thanks jbtsax I'll try triming the foam circle. I was scared I might do some damage if I forced it through. There seems to be a bit of controversy over the use of pad savers on the web. Trouble is with all the information available it's difficult to sort out the wheat from the chaff.
Cheers Clive

I don't recall the length of the octave pip protusion on my Jupiter alto (I sold it 3+ years ago) but it didn't have any problems with my pull through, which is shammy leather, but no foam circle-Trevor James I think.
When I use my pull-through, I line the bell neatly with the fabric before tipping the sax up to get the weight through. Once I 've got the weight through my saxes, I pull the rest through very slowly to avoid anything catching anywhere.

I had the same jagged unfinished metal in a TJ alto, filed it down didn't make any difference to sound.

I wouldn't mess with the octave extension (the protruding tube) as it can seriously mess up the tuning. Cheaper to buy a different pull through, however you will find that trimming the foam circle will help. If it gets caught again, do not force it, rather find a long thin bit of wood (or plastic or other soft material, ie not metal) and gently help the swab over the octave tube. being quite close to the top of the body it shouldn't be difficult to dislodge.
Hope this helps,
M.

I have trimmed the foam piece and made sure the swab is fitted into the bell without getting twisted. No problem now, thanks everyone for all the help. I'll buy a better swab in a few weeks time when I go on holiday and can get to a music store.

Cheers Clive

For Stephen Howard's comprehensive review of pad savers go to Testing Pad Savers. I prefer the H.W. brand and have used them to good effect for years in all of my saxes. Other brands have given the pad savers a poor reputation, but the H.W. brand is in a different class altogether.

If you get a pull through with a small brush circle instead of the foam ring you won't have a problem....John

I like the silk hanky-type ones myself, they're more absorbent than you think.

I like the silk hanky-type ones myself, they're more absorbent than you think.
I'll buy one when I go on holidays in 3 weeks time. That's about the time it takes for parcels to get here in the mail. The other option is a 12 hour drive each way to the nearest music store. The joys of living in a remote area. I looked at the HW pad savers on the net $13 + $39 freight.

Cheers Clive

A friend of mine used to make his own by sewing a suitable length of tubular tape to a piece of chamois leather , inserting a small weight inside the tape and sewing up the end. I would prefer a silk or cotton hanky to the chamois.

Jim.

I'll buy one when I go on holidays in 3 weeks time. That's about the time it takes for parcels to get here in the mail. The other option is a 12 hour drive each way to the nearest music store. The joys of living in a remote area. I looked at the HW pad savers on the net $13 + $39 freight.

Cheers Clive

The weights in the new ones seem to be large split pins - like the ones used to hold disk brake pads in. If you're going to do this, try and find a synthetic tape, seems to slide arund a wet bow better than cotton, which often sticks.

Aww thank you John! :blowkiss:

As for OG, I think you'll get away with it today as..............

it happens to be my birthday! :)