All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Reeds Suspected cane allergy

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Messages
4,830
Location
brighton by the sea
This one's a bit odd and I was wondering if anyone has any comments. Until about a year ago my set up consisted of 90% tenor sax- using rico plasticovers (which I've used for years), the other 10% being split between Soprano (LaVoz reeds) and bass clarinet (legere synthetics). Over the last year I've put the tenor on the back burner and been playing mostly Soprano (a mixed bag of LaVoz or V16s with the odd plasticover) and bass clarinet (rico concert grand or Vandroen blue). Over the last few months I've noticed my lower lip getting very irritated- which seems to be corresponding to my practice regime- can't pin it down to a specific reed type though- I'd initially thought it might be a Vandoren issue or a rico specific..... but evidence confirmed this wasn't the case. Anyone else experienced similar issues? I've read on SOTW that pesticides used on the cane can cause this. If someone's using a new form of pesticide- has anyone else got a problem with it....
 

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Messages
21,912
Location
Just north of Munich
My clarinet playing son gets it all the time. Can get really nasty. No idea of cause. Tried a synthetic a couple of years ago, but he hated it, so it wasn't played long enough to help. Maybe we should try again with a different type.

Would be good to get to the bottom of this.
 

milandro

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,488
Location
the Netherlands
Go to see you GP, they can test what kind of allergy (if it is an allergy) this is. Maybe he will refer you to a dermatologist.

Don’t forget that you could have a number of nasties growing inside your cane and that they could produce an allergic reaction or some other things like for example a yeast or fungal infection which you might very well think it is an allergy.

The great majority of cane brands proudly declare that they grow their cane pesticide free and because cane is actually an infesting weed I actually believe them.
 

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Messages
2,447
Location
The Millenium Falcon
I don't think I have an allergy however the cane reeds caused me real irritation to the point I couldn't bear the texture any longer. I had to switch to synthetic and no more irritation. It's frustrating though not knowing the cause. Also try Carmex on your lips, it's a real soother.
 

jrintaha

Senior Member
Messages
283
Location
Helsinki, Finland
Could also be that it's just mechanical stress that's irritating your lips - the top surface of a cane reed is far rougher than that of a synthetic reed. Then again your lips probably should get accustomed to it in time. I still don't use cane on the sax at all, the synthetics (Legere for classical-type sound, Fibracell for more buzz, but I'm not so fond of my Forestones) simply sound better in my opinion and are easier to use. I use regular cane on the clarinet, but that's mostly just because the synthetics I own are a bit too hard for my embouchure. Should get a Legere for clarinet too.
 

milandro

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,488
Location
the Netherlands
you could try some spray plaster like elastoplast. It forms a barrier between your body and external irritating agents ( cyclists use it too to avoid a saddle burn)

EP_SprayBandage.png
 

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Messages
7,750
Location
Peeblesshire
you could try some spray plaster like elastoplast. It forms a barrier between your body and external irritating agents ( cyclists use it too to avoid a saddle burn)

EP_SprayBandage.png


http://www.boots.com/en/Elastoplast-Spray-Plaster-32ml_33557/

You don't want to have your mouth open when spraying this... though it could be reasonable excuse for producing a stuffy sound or no sound at all
 
Last edited:

milandro

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,488
Location
the Netherlands
I didn’t think it was too difficult to spray this with your mouth shut........ it sprays on and stays on even in awkward places :) ! As the ad says!

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jonesy

Old Fart At Play
Messages
740
Location
Birmingham, UK
Resurrecting an old thread, but worth knowing; I gather that Rico, possibly others, use pesticide on their cane. If true, this could well explain a reaction to those who are more susceptible to the chemicals used.
Maybe. That possibly explains why I have a coughing fit when I use cane reeds. I used Vandoren, once, and couldn't play for days with a bad throat. I thought I must be allergic to bamboo. I only use Plasticover or Legere nowadays.
 

Royston

Member
Messages
562
Location
Wirral, United Kingdom
This one's a bit odd and I was wondering if anyone has any comments. Until about a year ago my set up consisted of 90% tenor sax- using rico plasticovers (which I've used for years), the other 10% being split between Soprano (LaVoz reeds) and bass clarinet (legere synthetics). Over the last year I've put the tenor on the back burner and been playing mostly Soprano (a mixed bag of LaVoz or V16s with the odd plasticover) and bass clarinet (rico concert grand or Vandroen blue). Over the last few months I've noticed my lower lip getting very irritated- which seems to be corresponding to my practice regime- can't pin it down to a specific reed type though- I'd initially thought it might be a Vandoren issue or a rico specific..... but evidence confirmed this wasn't the case. Anyone else experienced similar issues? I've read on SOTW that pesticides used on the cane can cause this. If someone's using a new form of pesticide- has anyone else got a problem with it....


I use Sterisol on mouthpieces and it says it won't damage wood. Might be worth a try or even antibacterial mouthwash might be worth a go.
 
Last edited:

jonf

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,682
Location
Betelgeuse
I don't think it's very likely that it is pesticides. Firstly, I didn't think Rico used pesticides. Secondly, the way pesticides work means it's unliklely the strains used in agriculture these days would become impregnated right through the cane. For that to happen, pesticides would have to be present throughout the growing cycle of the case, and that is not how pesticides are used these days. Far more likely, as Jrnintaha posted four years ago, is that it is down to mechanical action or friction. Coughing could be caused by dust, or possibly an allergice reaction. Could alo be an asthmatic response brought on by the action of blowing or a hots of other things.

The reaction 'it must be pesticides in the ####' is a common conspiracy based explantaion for various issues, usually deployed without any scientific basis.
 

Staff online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom