All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Super cheap curvy sop

jonf

As the title says, really. It's a Bently curved sop, in white for those Ornette Coleman fantasies. It's in pretty good nick, a couple of chips out of the white lacquer, but nothing serious, and certainly no dents. New neck cork. Comes in a really substantial case, or you can have a lightweight BW one instead if you want to minimise weight for travelling, same price. Also has a padsaver. Plays fine, all through the range. OK, it's a Bently, not a Yanagisawa, but it's OK. And now for the price:

£90 with a basic mouthpiece, lig and cap.
£100 with a used Yam 4c
£120 with a superb Yamaha Custom 4c mouthpiece (this is the high quality ebonite one which costs £65)

Postage is £15 or you can collect for nowt from central London. Taking photos tomorrow - PM me if you're interested.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Kev

You really thinking of buying a sop!:shocked:

Jx
It'll be the second. First one was sold on. But I need something cheap and playable that I can leave in the car and play there at lunch times to let off steam. Hopefully it'll improve my tenor/alto playing, the alto certainly improves my tenor... Not so sure about the colour, though. Maybe I follow in Davey's footsteps, we'll have to see.

jonf

Sax sold and donation made, eventually. I've been away and using a non-secure internet connection and didn't want to use any financial sites until back at home where all is safe and sound.

Many thanks to the buyer, and to Pete for the sales facility. I'm so much happier making a donation here than paying fees to the Devil's junkshop.

Clivey

Sax sold and donation made, eventually. I've been away and using a non-secure internet connection and didn't want to use any financial sites until back at home where all is safe and sound.

Many thanks to the buyer, and to Pete for the sales facility. I'm so much happier making a donation here than paying fees to the Devil's junkshop.
RE. Bently

I recently found a complete set of really good closeups of The Selmer SA 80 serie ii and when I compared my Bently tenor I found it not to be just a copy but actually a clone apart from the obvious engraving and also the boss on the neck.
It`s a bit strange that the Bently brand disappeared just as the "Ultra Cheap saxophone" phenomenon kicked off. This was well before the start of the Recession/Global Meltdown. I wonder who was behind this particular brand and if they were perhaps told to cut out the cloning. I`m sure the Sop would have been a clone also.

Anyway. The more or less identical nature of the Bently led me to completely re-do the action,corks and felts in the hope that it could be improved. I can state here that the Bently tenor can be transformed into a very slick horn and I have been impressed in the build and tonal quality compared to my Prelude Alto and Elkhart Sop which I do not rate particularly highly at the moment. I`m even having favorable comparisons with my Conn although I will never be able to really connect with any horn that uses the ribbed method of construction due to the extra weight that they have. That of course is a personal thing.

This has been a case of a good musical instrument held back by crappy setting up and finishing. I have to take my Hat off to Stephen Howard if he still lurks here. I know his book made it possible for me to attempt the work in the first place.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
RE. Bently

I recently found a complete set of really good closeups of The Selmer SA 80 serie ii and when I compared my Bently tenor I found it not to be just a copy but actually a clone apart from the obvious engraving and also the boss on the neck.
It`s a bit strange that the Bently brand disappeared just as the "Ultra Cheap saxophone" phenomenon kicked off. This was well before the start of the Recession/Global Meltdown. I wonder who was behind this particular brand and if they were perhaps told to cut out the cloning. I`m sure the Sop would have been a clone also.

Anyway. The more or less identical nature of the Bently led me to completely re-do the action,corks and felts in the hope that it could be improved. I can state here that the Bently tenor can be transformed into a very slick horn and I have been impressed in the build and tonal quality compared to my Prelude Alto and Elkhart Sop which I do not rate particularly highly at the moment. I`m even having favorable comparisons with my Conn although I will never be able to really connect with any horn that uses the ribbed method of construction due to the extra weight that they have. That of course is a personal thing.

This has been a case of a good musical instrument held back by crappy setting up and finishing. I have to take my Hat off to Stephen Howard if he still lurks here. I know his book made it possible for me to attempt the work in the first place.
Thanks for the hints. I'll take a good look at it when I get it. And I'll check the setup. I wonder what it's a clone of, cos the SA80 Sops are all straight as far as I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom