support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Sunny

ArtyLady

Did some noodling about on "Sunny", the beginning came out very very loud (I'm rubbish at this recording malarky!) so I faded it in to get rid of the loud bit lol >:) bit tentative to begin with because I'm recording myself! http://snd.sc/1aceqlI

Last edited by a moderator:
Very proficient playing with heaps of ideas that are consistent within each verse. Not sure if you meant this to be an exercise/catalog of various ideas, but that's the way it comes across. Musically I'd prefer consistency throughout, but each variation works well within itself. My favorite is at the end where it seems like you're getting tired of twisting it about and a very simple but soulful variation comes forward. To my ears you've reached a place where you have no problems coming up with ideas or variations and make good note choices. All the basics (tone articulation, phrasing, timing, etc.) are covered. The next step is to make the music a personal communication so that it's not just a clever catalog, but a personal communication of what this music means to you; how it feels. The last variation before the wind down (to my ears) does this best.

Excellent playing with the seeds for further development.

Very proficient playing with heaps of ideas that are consistent within each verse. Not sure if you meant this to be an exercise/catalog of various ideas, but that's the way it comes across. Musically I'd prefer consistency throughout, but each variation works well within itself. My favorite is at the end where it seems like you're getting tired of twisting it about and a very simple but soulful variation comes forward. To my ears you've reached a place where you have no problems coming up with ideas or variations and make good note choices. All the basics (tone articulation, phrasing, timing, etc.) are covered. The next step is to make the music a personal communication so that it's not just a clever catalog, but a personal communication of what this music means to you; how it feels. The last variation before the wind down (to my ears) does this best.

Excellent playing with the seeds for further development.

Thank you so much Wade for your kind comments. :D

Well it wasn't meant to be catalog but I guess I'll take that as a compliment! It's just the way it came out from within me - whilst trying to make it more interesting by bringing in different ideas as it was rather a long track! Yes I must admit by the end I was ready to wind down! :thumb:

Did some noodling about on "Sunny", the beginning came out very very loud (I'm rubbish at this recording malarky!) so I faded it in to get rid of the loud bit lol >:) bit tentative to begin with because I'm recording myself! http://snd.sc/1aceqlI

I listened to this a few days ago and was really surprised but couldn't comment at the time. I've listened to a sound or two of yours in the past and this recording seemed leaps and bounds ahead of what I recall hearing before, and on numerous fronts. Tone, articulation, and most certainly content all seemed dramatically better, up a league or two even. Maybe its just my bad memory but that's my impression. Its hard for me to comment on the content much as you are so far ahead of me in that department it all sounds great and I wish I had just a few of your tricks and riffs up my sleeve. I agree with Wade though that it was almost like a long session of "which trick shall I use next" and so didn't give an overall feeling of a melodic line to follow or take comfort in any repeating figures. Not that I can do that so I'm not preaching. Overall, very impressed indeed.

I listened to this a few days ago and was really surprised but couldn't comment at the time. I've listened to a sound or two of yours in the past and this recording seemed leaps and bounds ahead of what I recall hearing before, and on numerous fronts. Tone, articulation, and most certainly content all seemed dramatically better, up a league or two even. Maybe its just my bad memory but that's my impression. Its hard for me to comment on the content much as you are so far ahead of me in that department it all sounds great and I wish I had just a few of your tricks and riffs up my sleeve. I agree with Wade though that it was almost like a long session of "which trick shall I use next" and so didn't give an overall feeling of a melodic line to follow or take comfort in any repeating figures. Not that I can do that so I'm not preaching. Overall, very impressed indeed.

Thank you Thomas that's very kind - this is pretty much how I normally play - however I usually fall apart when I know I'm recording myself (which I've only just started doing) and generally end up playing like a wally ;} that's why it starts very tentatively because I'm so tense but because it's quite a long track I relaxed into it as it went along!! - the other thing is that I know the changes of this one inside out and upside down - some of the other stuff I've had a go at in BTOM has been challenging to say the least!

Before I studied jazz I did improvise/harmonise by ear alone and I do think that studying licks riffs and patterns has probably taken away some of my natural spontaneity so I will indeed take that on board :thumb:

I do much prefer playing live and when I've been recorded without knowing the result is usually more me!! :thumb: