Sunday morning, lovely

Ben Cain

I was wondering how long it will take many of you out there in sax land to pick up your beloved horn on a glorious sunny Sunday such as it is now in Essex.
So far, her indoors has had me hoovering, cleaning the pool and sweeoing the paths, make coffee (Blue mountain - yum) and walk make breakfast. All this before lunchtime and before I get to the shiny beauty that is my JK tenor.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
lol, I get up first, but have to wait until after breakfast before playing. I think I'd get shot if I played my sax any earlier. Not a morning person, she's not...

jonf

These days I am a morning person, and with kids everyone else is up at a reasonable time. Funny thing is, though, the morning just feel like the wrong end of the day for playing the sax.

OP
B

Ben Cain

HI guys
Well I finally got around to playing but have to now repair a laptop for my wife so playing now on hold unitl that little (3 HOUR) job is done.
Maybe tomorrow will be more productive following a day at work.

thehunt

I was too busy playing on Sunday to read the forum!! I am selling my house and had three viewings yesterday ( Sunday ) so had to intersperse my playing between the visits. It felt like i played all day.

half diminished

Mostly an evening thing for me, playing the old sax. This weekend however, decorating and more, so I didn't play until last evening. Managed 90 minutes though - which was nice. :)

Rock Lobster

Hi,
A quick question from a learner. My teacher says paractice:
a) as much as possible
b) a minimum of half an hour each day
c) as much as you can if you cant practice every day.
I play as much as possible, mostly every day, definitely between half and one hour.

As an un-scientific straw poll, how long would you guy's say you practice each week in reality?

OP
B

Ben Cain

HI Rock
I supose I play about 5/6 hours a week not including my lesson on Saturdays and playing in the school band. Anyone ever played the tenor sax in hairspray it's a bugg** of part.

Mamos

Not nearly enough.

The day usually gets away from me and I find i have little time to play.

This is why I have taken my spare sax to the office so i get a good half an hour in the morning and maybe a half an hour 2 or 3 times a week in the evenings if I'm lucky.

Research has shown that to become a master at any instrument takes 10,000 hours of practice. That would amount to 3 hours a day for ten years

mamos

Howard Long

It is unusual for me to do no sax practice every day. Mostly it is between one and three hours each day, sometimes more at the weekend, when I might have two or even three separate sessions each day.

Up until a year or so ago, I had a job that involved a lot of travelling, making quality practice with a real sax much more difficult, so I have a couple of EWIs for travelling, an Akai USB and a Yamaha WX-5. The WX-5 'action', if you can call it that, is much better than the Akai, but the Akai is slightly more convenient.

You can imagine the looks of horror you get when you get an EWI out on a plane, only to have the naysayers rapidly placated when you pop the headphones on. I have been known to do a quick toot at the bar on Virgin Atlantic. I wish I could say it delighted the audience. The great thing about playing a musical instrument is that you can usually still make some kind of half decent rendition after a few drinks, but the trick is to be able to restrain yourself from trying when you've had too many...

Cheers, Howard

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi every body I'm too embarrassed to say How long I practice every day but perhaps if I tell you most of the house is now round my ankles it will give you a clue.

I think the 10,000 hrs came and went and I'm still no master but who cares loving every minute......john:w00t:

OP
B

Ben Cain

HI felllow practisers (if that is a word)
You have all made me feel a whole lot better with the problems of fitting in and time with the shiny thing in the black case.
I try to play whejn I can but full-time teaching, tutoring and writing essays for my MA take quite a bit of time and recently hospitals stays have seriously taken my time away from the shiny JK.
Anyway, thanks for all the comments and thoughts
Ben

Top Bottom