All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Sunday catharsis

jeremyjuicewah

I am having a bit of a choke up in the head just now. I have gone at my scales and have been applying them. I once, long ago, sat down and did a chart of pentatonic minors, relative majors and dorian sort of overlaid to see how many notes I couldn't play out of the twelve available. Talking here about blues rock type stuff which I am trying to get under my belt with a view to doing a jam session in the next couple of weeks. I have done an overlay thing again and find that with discretion there are actually no notes I cannot play if I take Bminor as an example. Take Route 66, Moondance etc. I have learned to be careful of A flat and G and B flat and E flat and C. But if you take the 1 1V V scales too and the 7ths and flat 7ths they all come into it. In all the above scales C appears once, E flat once, B flat twice and C# twice, F twice, G twice. The rest are in there 3, 4, and 5 times and seem to me to be usefull in most places. I have included the blue note in the minor scales too. Bearing in mind one of the most usefull things an otherwise almost useless guitar teacher told me, that you can approach any note from half a tone above or half a tone below, and I find I am starting to think of these notes as one big pool which with some experience you can navigate around without worrying too much. It most definately does not work with standards (I think that's what a non minor, non- bluesy tune is called), and it definately helps to know what the 1 1V and V chords are, but I think that's progress. Sorry to bore, but these notes swim around in my head day and night I think I just need to spit them out for a while. Does anyone else think of it this way? I am still a very staunch believer in knowing your scales, but when I run them together like this they seem different.
Adios, I am going back into my coma,
Jailhouse Jeremyjuicewah Hopkins.
Ps. I have just remembered the chromatic scale. Now there's a thing.

Mike

I always examined my music approach from a collective standpoint. The chromatic
scale has always been my most useful resource in approaching music this way.

I've been studying the guitar and I approach the guitar in this exact same manner.

But pragmatically speaking, not many musician's would want to trek the musical path I have chosen
because of societal alienation.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom