All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Sugru, Repair and more

AntonRoth

Did you guys ever heard of sugru?
It is a material, which can be formed cold. After about 30 Minutes, it starts getting hard, and after 24 hours it will be hard, like strong gummi or silicon.

It connects strongly with other materials including metalls.
It seems to be an effective, cheap and easy solution for palm key risers, among lot of other things: http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/HandyHints/key_risers.htm

I ordererd it, I hope it will be the solution I always looked for.

transzendentale meditation

Sunray

Sugru ...

Yep!

Here is one of many links you will find here in the Cafe Saxophone ...

Have a look around the cafe and say Hi by ringing the doorbell ... ;}

You will get to meet loads of friendly, well informed and helpful people mate ...

Welcome from me Anton ...

I hope your repair works out ...

koumou

Sugru is a great material. I used it on my palm keys as discribed on Stephen Howards site and it works a treat.

jthole

Sugru is a great material. I used it on my palm keys as discribed on Stephen Howards site and it works a treat.
I just reapplied it, after being unhappy with the first try ... so far it looks like great stuff indeed.

When dry, it cures to a hard rubbery material. It is available in all kinds of colors, but i went for basic black and white.

saxplorer

I'm a big sugru fan - my latest use was to use a little left-over sugru to provide a thin "rubberised" layer to the inside of a cheapie mouthpiece cap that was a little loose and insecure. Worked perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I'm a big sugru fan - my latest use was to use a little left-over sugru to provide a thin "rubberised" layer to the inside of a cheapie mouthiesce cap that was a little loose and insecure. Worked perfectly.
Now that's a really good idea. I have a candidate cap that needs the treatment. .

jbtsax

Subscriber
The sugru sounds great and seems to be easy to use, although I have not tried it yet. There is another product that one can use to make key risers that is found at jewelry repair suppliers. It is called Jett Basic Plastiform. I comes in small white pellets that you put into very hot water. The pellets turn clear and stick to one another. This can be molded and formed to any shape desired while it is still in its "plastic" state. When it cools, it turns to a hard white plastic finish. Below are some palm key risers I made for a True Tone Soprano out of Plastiform. They were shaped so that the player could snap them on or off as needed. For those who prefer a hard rather than "rubbery" key, this product works great. The best thing is that you can reheat the plastic and use it over and over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom