Beginner Suggestion for Beginners - Backing Tracks

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
I was recently set an exercise to learn from one of my books by my tutor. It was only a short piece and I decided as I really don't enjoy playing with a metronome to ask @Chris if he could do me a short backing track to play along to with a good strong drum beat.

I sent him the dots and very swiftly received the backing track at two speeds.

It was really useful and made playing much more fun so if you are in the same situation please do contact Chris there is only a small fee half of which is donated to the café.

More info re backing tracks here

Jx

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
I have since asked @Chris for a shortened version of the song of the month, Chestnuts, which he put together very quickly for me and also added a second version with a melody guide track. (I know you can't tell from my recording but it did help) :)

He has also done me a backing track for scale practise.

So if you are struggling with anything backing track wise please don't forget this service is available as it is a great resource.

Jx

jbtsax

old and opinionated
Subscriber
I used to use an amplified drum machine with pre-programmed beats with my band classes all the time when practicing scales and other exercises. The kids thought it was great fun. They didn't know I was tricking them into playing with a "metronome". I do the same thing now using Band-In-A-Box when I am practicing my jazz scales and modes. It is great tool.

I used to use an amplified drum machine with pre-programmed beats with my band classes all the time when practicing scales and other exercises. The kids thought it was great fun. They didn't know I was tricking them into playing with a "metronome". I do the same thing now using Band-In-A-Box when I am practicing my jazz scales and modes. It is great tool.
if you have the iReal app, that's great too - you can turn up and down the instruments so you can play with just the kit. You can change tempo and styles too

IReal is great, there is also one called "Jazz Session Band" which is okay although you have to program/input all the changes yourself, which can be useful or a pain.

Jamie Abersold is always a good option

I like Drumgenius app better than plain metronome. I just started on sax but for guitar practice I prefer working with just drums. I practice comping (different set of strings and positions) until I know the progression well then I play embellished melody. Then make up my own melody. The trick is that you can just play single note line against the drum and outline harmony. And because I keep making mistakes backup track only gets in the way. With drums only I can immediately rewind e.g. to the beginning of the bridge and try my improvised phrase again. With backup track I have to wait for the part to come around again. From that point of view iReal Pro is somewhere in the middle as it makes it easy to loop just few bars at a time.

I recently tried "CoffeeBreakGroovse": they offer a sample track when subscribing to their newsletter. I finally found some time to practice this afternoon, and tried the blues backtrack I got for free. I found it quite nice to play along, so I decided to get a few more tracks tonight (each one of them is 15 minutes long). I chose one smooth jazz, one blues and one jazz title. I'll let you know when I try them.

What led me to this choice is that I currently have very little time to practice between my weekly lesson, so I asked my teacher if we could work on improvisation and put aside my regular training with a method for a few months.

I have to admit that playing along a backtrack (I chose them with slow tempos) allows me to work my scales and long notes in a different way which I find quite pleasing.

Top Bottom