All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Suffering withdrawn symptoms

jazzdoh

I haven't played my sax for about 2 weeks and face maybe another 2/3 weeks before i can play,then it will be starting back on nino then curved soprano then after another 2/3 weeks finally get back on alto my main horn.

Reason is i have had another back op and so have to follow orders,this break from the sax has happened a few times,1996,1997 and again in 2007.

I can't speak for everybody but for me the more i know i can't play them the more i want to,have already done enough practise on mpc only,enough to drive the family mad.

Anyone else ever had to take a forced break?

Colin the Bear

Having to sleep is all the break I can stand at the moment. I'm still getting over a bout of the flu which stopped me playing for about two weeks. I had to get the banjo out. It's a pale substitute lol

jonf

Anyone else ever had to take a forced break?

Yes, a few times. I've had various problems with my teeth which has stopped me playing, and about a yer ago I sliced the tip off my little finger and cut another finger tip at the same time. Stopped me playing for a week or so. Drove me mad not being able to play.

I don't tend to take my saxes on holiday, so I also miss out then. Last summer I had a fabulous holiday in Lake Como, simply gorgeous, but even with the delightful diversions of the Italian Lakes I still missed playing.

Good luck with the recovery, make sure you don't overdo things and set yourself back (as if I'd ever follow that advice myself......)

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
I'm glad the op went well Brian.
Do as you're told, leave the sax alone and buy a banjo. You know it makes sense.
The only thing that has stopped me playing is the missus. Bleeding ears is not the look apparently.

jazzdoh

Strange but when i have a 2 week holiday i don't miss playing.
The forced break in 1996 was a lot worse as i had to have nearly 6 months off playing,that was a real test of my sanity.

Thanks for the replies

jazzdoh

I'm glad the op went well Brian.
Do as you're told, leave the sax alone and buy a banjo. You know it makes sense.
The only thing that has stopped me playing is the missus. Bleeding ears is not the look apparently.

Not sure about the banjo but i agree about the bleeding ears,my wife has my horns under lock and key and probably has secret cameras and laser alarms placed in the music room LOL:crying:

jrintaha

Had a split lip that got infected around two weeks back, couldn't play woodwinds for over a week. I played the accordion and guitar.

llamedos

Since the New Year began I have had a foul cold (aka man-flu) and an annoying cough; due to medication for a dicky ticker I am restricted as to what cough remedies I can take so have to rely on something weaker than I would like which therefore takes longer to effect relief. As if that wasn't enough to try my patience I had a fall on the ice whilst dog-walking which has resulted in my neck going into melt-down and severely limiting head movement thus extending the time my woodwinds have had to stay idle. I am, however, hopeful that things are looking up and with any luck I can resume next week.

Paradoxically, I have noticed in the past that an enforced lay-off gives me renewed enthusiasm and things also seem easier/better than before (or is this just imagination?). I should perhaps add that being now in my late seventies, things take at least twice as long to get better than was the case say ten years ago.

Fellow sufferers have my sincere sympathies and wishes for a speedy recovery, whatever the infliction.

Dave

TheCureFan

Had to take 7 months off following a car crash. Suffered bad neck and shoulder injuries. First couple of months I didn't feel like paying as I was in agony, but as it improved I wanted to play more and more but kept getting told not too by doctors as it could make things worse and prolong my recovery. What made it more frustrating was I'd only just started lessons about 5 or so weeks prior to the accident. Once given the all clear to play again took another 2 months to finD a new teacher (old one became fully booked). Have now been back playing for about 8 weeks (inc Xmas break) and thoroughly enjoying it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Subscriber
I used to be a regular gym goer, and I would occasionally overdo the weights and end up straining various muscles, which would lead to grumpy periods of no guitar. Not particularly nice, but I agree with Dave above that whenever I finally managed to get back to playing it felt fantastic, and any rustiness from not playing soon vanished.

Hope the back op has been successful

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Have to agree with llamedos that my enforced breaks from playing (due to frequent breathing issues!) usually result in coming back refreshed and more determined to progress. Non-playing time is often occupied with lots of 'listening' and reading-up on theory.

Wishing you a speedy and successful recovery!

Cheers

jazzdoh

Thanks for all your replies

The great thing about this forum is that we all have music and saxes in common and just reading the replies has cheered me up.

jazzdoh

Had to take 7 months off following a car crash. Suffered bad neck and shoulder injuries. First couple of months I didn't feel like paying as I was in agony, but as it improved I wanted to play more and more but kept getting told not too by doctors as it could make things worse and prolong my recovery. What made it more frustrating was I'd only just started lessons about 5 or so weeks prior to the accident. Once given the all clear to play again took another 2 months to finD a new teacher (old one became fully booked). Have now been back playing for about 8 weeks (inc Xmas break) and thoroughly enjoying it.

Sorry to hear about your problems and glad you are back on track with your sax journey.

jazzdoh

Just a quick update,finally getting back to gigs starting tomorrow after over 2 months off,really looking forward to playing out again.

Top Bottom