support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Straps, Necks And Torn Skin

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Locality
Citizen of Nowhere
Now I'm playing in bands that let me really perform and now I'm confident enough (mostly ;)) to let myself go without trying to constrain my actions, I'm finding my neck strap is tearing my skin apart. Regular gigs, with a *lot* of movement, over two hours, with a lot of sweat equals torn-up skin.

I know the obvious answer is don't perform like a coke-addicted seal, but that's just not going to happen. Has anyone else experienced this and did you find a way to fix it?

Now I'm playing in bands that let me really perform and now I'm confident enough (mostly ;)) to let myself go without trying to constrain my actions, I'm finding my neck strap is tearing my skin apart. Regular gigs, with a *lot* of movement, over two hours, with a lot of sweat equals torn-up skin.

I know the obvious answer is don't perform like a coke-addicted seal, but that's just not going to happen. Has anyone else experienced this and did you find a way to fix it?
Sounds like you’re wearing t-shirts then, strap to bare skin?
I used to prance about a bit and never had a problem, but that was wearing a collared shirt.
There are material and leather-backed straps - if no use, how about a harness?

It's there anything you can put in your skin too protect it like barrier cream etc. Or a stylish cravat

Failing that a different type of strap. I think you've said that a Jazzlab Saxholder hasn't worked for you, what about the Balam?

It's the other way round in my case. My neck tears/rots the strap.
IMG_0975.jpeg

Wear a shirt with a collar and put your neck strap over the shirt.

Next!

Sounds like you’re wearing t-shirts then, strap to bare skin?

I wear shirts but it's still strap to bare skin. With the Spandau tribute, I dance for the entire two hour performance so I already wear nothing but pure linen on stage to cut down on the heat. I've tried putting the strap over the collar but I found the material bunches from all the movement and the heat is so much worse with the shirt buttoned up. Leaving it open makes the material bunching even worse.

how about a harness?

I tried one but I found I was really constrained.

Or a stylish cravat

I've tried that sort of thing (silk scarf) but it made the heat so much worse. I'm usually dripping by the 5th song as it is.

Or sewing something like this around your strap?

It looks like that's going to be the next thing to try.

It's the other way round in my case. My neck tears/rots the strap.
View attachment 24054

:D

I bet that's a challenge after seeing videos of you on stage.

What's your strap like?

jazzbacks sax holder works for me

Wrap the strap in silk.

That's what I'm going to try next. If it makes life that little bit easier I'll be happy.

I bet that's a challenge after seeing videos of you on stage.

What's your strap like?

It's a basic BG Nylon padded strap. I find corded straps much easier and more comfortable when it comes to dancing around.

I forgot to clean if after the show a couple of weekends ago as I had 5 days off playing. Eeeeeewwwww, that was not a nice smell.

I can't remember the last show I played where at least one person didn't ask what drugs I'm on. :eek::rofl:

jazzbacks sax holder

I can't dance and fling the horn around like I do with a sax holder. As I said, I could stop dancing around but I can't see that ever happening.

Cebula or Just Joe’s?

I prefer Just Joe’s, but I think the neck part on the Cebula is softer. They are both leather, and quite soft. Neither are abrasive, but rubbing on a sweaty neck might still create irritation.

Ok. I've got a serious solution.

Rig the sax from a weighted pulley in the flies. Two cables, so it stays pointing forward.
Then you can grab it a play, and when you're done just let go and it'll stay there while you dance.

Yours, prof Pat Pending

Last edited:
You could get one of those gizmos that cameramen use when filming on the hoof

Ok. I've got a serious solution.

Rig the sax from a weighted pulley in the flies. Two cables, so it stays pointing forward.
Then you can grab it a play, and when you're done just let go and it'll stay there while you dance.

Yours, prof Pat Pending

I actually like that idea!

Not for the Spandau show, but I can definitely see that in another show. :banana:

You could get one of those gizmos that cameramen use when filming on the hoof

Steadycam kit. :D

I didn't want to initially give too much info as I was hoping someone else had been through exactly the same thing and had found a solution rather than me influencing any replies. Apparently it's even more of a niche problem than I realised.

The two ideas I had before posting was to sew softer material over the strap - soft t-shirt or scarf material - or to go down the leather path as I assume leather becomes slippery when there's a layer of moisture between the skin and the strap, but when leather straps start at £80 that's quite an expensive assumption to make.

I had tried playing with clothing under the strap (shirt collar and a layer of scarf) but neither option worked in this scenario. Thankfully we're coming into winter now so most theatres are noticeably cooler.