All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Strapped up!

breathless

Hi all, I have been learning to play tenor for 4-5 months now and have had tuition from the beginning.
While at a lesson a few weeks ago I tried my tutors freeneck harness and to say I was blown away would be a desperate miss use of words.

I have suffered for years with neck pain and have found I start to become uncomfortable after 30 minutes or so, although I guess modern tenor are not overly heavy when you have a neck problem it can cause some discomfort.

I decided to order one and after a bit of research on this here forum tried a few different places including where I purchased and recived excellent service "sax.could.uk" however I did a little more searching and found tried Tomann in Germany, much to my surprise even with p&p it was still £15 less than the cheapest place in the UK.

So im afraid to say I broke with tradition and ordered from another country.

I received email explaining I would be registered and then would get another email to tell me when my order would be dispatched.

I ordered Saturday evening and an instant email explained my order would not be processed unfilled Monday and delivery would take 5-7 days.

My wife called me at work this morning to tell me a parcel had arrived from Germany!

So not only cheaper by a big bit but delivery was quicker than had I ordered it in the UK.

I'm saddened that I had to resort to ordering from another country and not support our own event economy but simple economics dictate that unless I made these savings I simply wouldn't be able to afford to do the things I want and therefore wouldn't be learning to play sax to start with.

Rgds Lee.

trimmy

One day i will...
It's the nature of the beast..... we all want items cheaper, but it does make you think is it the stores deciding they want a higher profit margin ? We have a few music shops here in the city centre and while looking through the playalong books, picked up a Thelonius Monk playalong looked through it and decided it was above my ability, goes along to the other music shop and the same book was £2.35 cheaper ! Why ?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Thomann is like Amazon - big range of goods stocked, high turnover, but little advice. Go to a proper shop and it's the other way around - and they have a relatively high cost per item paying for premises, staff etc. Thomann is basically a big warehouse. And they're big enough to demand and get good service from the postal/delivery companies. What helped them get started is the excellent postal service and the German adoption of technology. Broadband and before that isdn availability and take-up were streets ahead of the UK, most of Europe in fact. And the no-nonsense banking has meant that there's little risk in on-line purchases. As an ex banker, albeit on the IT side, I found the differences between the UK and German banks almost unbelievable.

What's really sad is the difference in adoption of technology - why didn't Amazon and Thomann start in the UK? We have excellent high tech skills - and have done for many years. The UK's contribution to science has been incredible. But there seems to be little or no will to do something useful with it.

Filton

What's really sad is the difference in adoption of technology - why didn't Amazon and Thomann start in the UK? We have excellent high tech skills - and have done for many years. The UK's contribution to science has been incredible. But there seems to be little or no will to do something useful with it.
Classic case of too many brains not enough imagination and common sense? As you say we are always on the forefront of developing technology for OTHER countries to use - makes little sense to me...

breathless

Couldn't agree more Kev-.
I worked for BT for 10 years and while there went to quite a few conferences and while at one with the big wigs it was made a special announcement that BT was to invest so many millions of pounds into fibre!

I counter questioned this asking why we was so far behind as wi-max was already in use in other countries and could knock spots off fibre, also why was we so far behind?

Of course this went down like a lead baloon.

I kept a close eye on other technologies and constantly found BT was years behind and dragged there heels.
When you consider 4G is in use elsewhere and is capable of delivering speeds faster than some fibre systems it would appear that BT will have a limited run with there late delivery of fibre as soon as 4G lands in the UK in a few years everyone with a smart phone will have superfast broadband in there pocket.

I am patriotic but money talks as I simply don't have a money tree.

Lee.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom