support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Strap Padding

Cebullas, Kölbl, are very nice, but if one has to have a strap (I now use the saxholder but it is a different thing) that is made of very soft leather and silicone gel padding, is well made and protective of your spine few can rival Just Joe’s

Neck-Strap-center-copy11.jpg

If you think that you can achieve something like that with your DIY adaptation of several materials do it, if not, buy this or something like this.

Not quite the same thing as I don't use neck straps - I only use harnesses due to neck problems but I am a bit of a "Heath Robinson" to make them more comfortable as poss.

On my FreeAction light harness I sewed neoprene pads to give extra width and padding on the shouder straps (I have very sensitive weedy bony shoulders! :rolleyes: o_O) and a leather pad to the metal triangle as it dug in my stomach.

I've just bought a Mark II Sax Holder (I send my MkI back as the shoulders really dug in and hurt) the MkII has better shaping on the shoulders but I have still added Neoprene padding where they sit on shoulders - it's wonderful :cool: I can wear it for hours! The FreeAction is now having a well earned rest and will be a back up :D

Last edited:
Heath Robinson is just what I'm looking for, thanks. Reluctant to spend €50 or more having a strap sent. Just Joe's looks great but what a price! It's not exactly rocket science. Off to look for some neoprene padding and a needle and thread.

Heath Robinson is just what I'm looking for, thanks. Reluctant to spend €50 or more having a strap sent. Just Joe's looks great but what a price! It's not exactly rocket science. Off to look for some neoprene padding and a needle and thread.
Put up a photo of your creation when it is done please. I am intrigued..........

you can spend a lot less, and get a lot less too.

Kölbl have rather cheap products.

Recently I have acquired a great leather photographic strap, the iErnest camera strap, now only at 64€ while the original price was 129€, also no rocket science but try exploring this market to learn how much quality products cost.

Similarly, I have bought a camera satchel.

I have bought one made of canvas in China. Western products leather made were way above my budget.

Hardly rocket science too.

you can spend a lot less, and get a lot less too.

Kölbl have rather cheap products.

Recently I have acquired a great leather photographic strap, the iErnest camera strap, now only at 64€ while the original price was 129€, also no rocket science but try exploring this market to learn how much quality products cost.

Similarly, I have bought a camera satchel.

I have bought one made of canvas in China. Western products leather made were way above my budget.

Hardly rocket science too.
How good is the Kolbl product? I have a Cebulla for my alto which is superb but then again I never really get any ache from neck straps....my neck is 20" due to front row prop position in rugby

with all due respect, apples and oranges.

Neotech are ideal if you are a Vegan though.

Neoprene or memory foam in more or less direct contact with your neck will make you feel hot and sweaty at the very least in summer, Ask any diver (I am one) what neoprene smells like after sweating in it.

Leather doesn’t do that . Which is the reason why I have got the Just Joe and three Kölbl prior to that for the saxophone and why I ditched the original so called leather strap of my expensive Fujifilm halfcase, because it wasn’t leather and was only covered with a thin strip of leather on top of a synthetic material

Fujifilm+X-E1+Leather+Half+Case++078.jpg

I replaced the strap (kept the case) with this one entirely handmade of leather.

305_1.jpg

If I were really old school with the saxophone and didn’t need the padding I would chose one of these

SN_3.000-CTL_1_120x230_gross.jpg
My_3.007-CT_1_264x290_gross.jpg
Be_1.010_1_274x290_gross.jpg

The Koelbl Smooth Moose are excellent, really comfortable soft moose leather with a small amount of padding. Where the Cebulla scores is the two pads either side of your spine, which shifts the weight off the spine.

However like some others I've found this isn't enough for me on the bigger saxes and have switched to a Saxholder for tenor and bari. This gets the weight right off your neck. Only downside is getting it adjusted the first time. This takes a while and requires a little strength, which may be too much for some of the ladies.

This thread is about padded straps. I asked for DIY ideas, not pics of pricey products even though some are tempting. I have a worn out leather jacket which may not be moose but could surely serve as covering. More ideas please.

This thread is about padded straps. I asked for DIY ideas, not pics of pricey products even though some are tempting. I have a worn out leather jacket which may not be moose but could surely serve as covering. More ideas please.
Crikey you drive a hard thread! Neoprene, off the back of some old bag handle and wrapped in leather. How is that?

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom