support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Strap over shoulders, not neck. What is it?

navarro

Locality
LONDON
Hi All, do not know whether this is one for the technical section or not.

I am having quite a lot of problems with my sax sling `Neotech padded neck`

I have heard quite a lot about a new type of sling which sits on the shoulders by means of two supporting hook like appendages and does not go round the neck.

I am told this is not a shoulder strap in the traditional sense. The reason I am asking this is because I have my current strap to the maximum for shortness but it just does not bring the mouthpiece up high enough for me.

Evidently this new strap will go as high or low as you like. I have surfed looking for it but can find no mention anywhere. Has any one come across these wonder slings. Regds. N.

It has been described a bit like a doctors stethescope if you can imagine the earpieces being suported by each shoulder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its called Jazzlab Sax Holder. If you put that in the Cafe search you'll find all sorts of opinions about it (good and bad).
For what it's worth, I love mine!

i have a saxholder, and find it a great way of holding my sax.
i started with a neotech harness, but found it held the sax too close to me. on trying the saxholder i found it instantly more comfy, and held the sax in a much more user friendly way. allowing for more freedom of movement whilst trying to play.
i deff would recommend one.
cheers all, mad keef.

I'm amazed anyone manages to play with a Neotech. Horrible things.

I use one (Neotech) and find it a bit more comfortable than the standard Yamaha one that came with my Sax.

That is with an Alto though so I guess its not that heavy anyway.

I haven't tried anything else yet!

. The reason I am asking this is because I have my current strap to the maximum for shortness but it just does not bring the mouthpiece up high enough for me.

I had this problem with my Neotech, so I unpicked the stitching and shortened it to the right length, then re-sewed it.
After that, when I was happy with the length, I got Johann to make me a Cebulla to exactly the same length. Very comfortable, and very happy ever since.

I had this problem with my Neotech, so I unpicked the stitching and shortened it to the right length, then re-sewed it.
After that, when I was happy with the length, I got Johann to make me a Cebulla to exactly the same length. Very comfortable, and very happy ever since.

Thanks Mandy good thinking. I will get my lady with the `Singer` to have a go. She has been asking for several years now, have Singer gone electric yet. But I love the tap of the foot pedal and the whirr of the handle.:thumb: Regds N.

I bought a saxholder because an hour or so using Neotech gives me a headache due to pressure on the Carotid (?) artery, the SaxHolder is very comfortable, and is fine when standing up but I find it a bit insecure when sitting,and reaching forward to turn pages or put new dots on the stand. You are welcome to try it if you pay p&p its as new and i'm looking for £25 plus p&p with 10% to Pete's charity, PM me if interested

I have used a RICO delux sax sling for a long time very comfy seems to fit most saxes as well even my Bari but the weights a problem on that one so I splashed out on a £5 harness from eBay it's ok too then I found another one exactly the same for £2:50 including postage so I have two now,I could send you one free gratis if you are interested ......John

Ps I would have thought you can achieve The same result by tying two loops in either side cord next to the neck cushion :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
i still use a neotech, though i changed the hook since the original spring popped open & dropped my tenor on a hard floor :-/

It is too short for alto, so i have an alternate strap for that. I'd worry that these shoulder-hook supports would drop my sax as i leaned over to pick up my set-list or beer when on stage.

The straps don't give me any carotid artery problems, though my neighbours complain about their painful tympanic membranes when I play...

Would have to agree with Nick in post 6, although quite comfortable they make my neck sweat and also bounce up and down...not good! and John in post 13, you just don't need to spend a fortune on a neck strap, you just don't, i use a bog standard bg no problem, i have a Cebula and again it makes my neck hot and sweaty...that sax-holder just looks to OTT!

Before splashing out on a SaxHolder, I used a shoulder strap for quite a while (have some serious issues with my neck, probably not helped by years of neck straps): good for tenor and bari, but I wouldn't recommend it for alto,. Although I did use it on alto (it was a choice of that or not playing at all) it doesn't seem to stay as high as you need it.
Go with the one offered for £25, it's a bargain! If you don't get on with it, you can sell it on for the same money (and you're contributing to the charity!).
Cheers,
M.