SYOS

Saxophones Straight is better?

Tommy Ng

Hi

I have been using a curved neck for my sop for the past 2 years. As i always practise sop in my car, it is much comfortable to use a curved neck in the car.

I tried a straight neck this morning and found that it is much better in sound quality. The sound is much fuller and the low notes are much easy to play.

Wonder if anyone has such experience??

tom :)

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
They'll sound different due to the different spatial relationship of the sax body to your ears. If the low notes are easier on the straight crook it suggests that there's something wrong with your curved one, or it doesn't fit very well.

baritonesax

I agree with Nick - partially. I strongly doubt a listener would be able to tell the difference between straight or curved necks, but both of the two interchangeable-necked sopranos I've owned (a Keilwerth and a Yani) played better on straight crooks. Clearer tone, and better response - but the difference was quite slight.

Der Wikinger

when I play my Keilwerth I use straight one time and curved the next. Haven't seen a lot of difference between them, except the tone is a little better with the straight one.

Top Bottom