support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Storing synthetic reeds, also, reed hardness question

Gallen

Hello!
What is the proper way to store a synthetic reed? Legere's website states that
"The reeds should be stored on a flat surface, but not in a case which applies pressure to the reed tip. You should not keep your reed in the shipping package." :confused:

Currently I'm keeping my legere those plastic holders that rico reeds come with. How do you keep your synthetic reed when not in use?

Also, yesterday I got in my mail a Fibracell premier 2.5. Comparing that to the Legere 2.5 that I have, the Fibracell allows me to reach high C, while the legere high C tends to wobble. Is this a sign that the legere is too soft? On the flip side, the Fibracell needs a more subtle control to play low C, whereas I have more confidence to play low C on the legere. Sound wise, I think I prefer the Fibracell :D Feels much closer to vandorens. Doesn't buzz as much as well, vs the legere.

Thanks for your help!

Alvin

Hi!
Thank you, VirusKiller and MartinL.

MartinL - I'm probably going to try a 2.75 legere signature come next payday :) Hopefully that will help out. For some reason, I have a very good feel about the legeres...

Alvin

Well I use a Vandoren Java in a 3 but my Legeres are both 2's, I find them a touch harder than their number indicates (compared to the Java) and a Fibracelle medium soft. I dont really like the Fibracelle and dont use it.
I still use the Java's often though as when i first started with the Legeres I found that, after a little while I couldn't play a normal reed so I decided to keep "in practice" with both. Now its easy to swap but I find the high notes cleaner and sharper with the Legere and the low range better with the Java.

ps, my Legeres are standard, not signature

Last edited by a moderator:
Further to my post above and having read the care info on the Legere website, I'm think I'm doing the wrong thing keeping my reed on the mouthpiece. My strength 2 Legere sig has acquired a permanent bend (having been used with a #9 facing piece). I'm now looking for an appropriate storage case, though the "not in a case which applies pressure to the reed tip" comment does confuse things somewhat.

I received a reply, basically, not much different from the website: anything that keeps the reed totally flat. *shrugs*. Gonna leave 'em in my rico holders. Got a 2.25 legere signature coming soon!

I made a discovery. On the Legere website I read that one should change reeds after an hour or so of playing. I haven't been doing this and think that this contributed to the bend as the reed softens when it warms up. (Is polypropylene hygroscopic?)

Anyway, after playing my bent reed for an hour or so yesterday, I placed it on a flat surface under a stack of books! And, voila, today it is virtually flat...

synthetic reeds maintenance?

If anything one of the big bonuses of synthetic reeds is these are very low maintenance compared to traditional reeds...I wouldn't bother much.
In terms of softness grade - I find the Legere far harder than any other reed...e.g. I find Legere 2 harder than Java 3.5.
I did preferred the Fibracells to the Legere initially but now I prefer Legere - it takes a bit longer for them to deliver but when they do (in the right setup) they perform even better than proper reeds (my opinion).

The second strength 2 Legere Signature I've just received is much much harder than the one I've been using for a couple of months; so much so that I'm reasonable certain that I simply wore out my first and that is why it is soft and takes on a permanent bend. Legere do a nice leather-covered reed case, though it's £27 or so.

Well, I'm still not 100% sure that the reed is not defective in some way. Legere recommend rotating three reeds and also state that "Many players report that our reeds can last for months", but that could be two or twelve! I've been using a single strength 2 reed for three months now and it really is much softer than the new reed of the same strength that arrived yesterday. I've been playing between five and ten hours a week: nothing excessive.

It's possible that the strength two reeds don't cope very well with mouthpieces with large tip openings, but that is pure speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello!
What is the proper way to store a synthetic reed? Legere's website states that
"The reeds should be stored on a flat surface, but not in a case which applies pressure to the reed tip. You should not keep your reed in the shipping package." :confused:

Currently I'm keeping my legere those plastic holders that rico reeds come with. How do you keep your synthetic reed when not in use?

Also, yesterday I got in my mail a Fibracell premier 2.5. Comparing that to the Legere 2.5 that I have, the Fibracell allows me to reach high C, while the legere high C tends to wobble. Is this a sign that the legere is too soft? On the flip side, the Fibracell needs a more subtle control to play low C, whereas I have more confidence to play low C on the legere. Sound wise, I think I prefer the Fibracell :D Feels much closer to vandorens. Doesn't buzz as much as well, vs the legere.

Thanks for your help!

Alvin

I keep my Legere in a D'Addario reed box. They're held in place with a small ruber band, no pressure on tip.

Back
Top Bottom