support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Still Loving the Legere Signature Reed ?

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
After the initial flurry of excitement about having a decent artificial saxophone reed in the Legere Signature series, how do people feel about them ?

I went back to Vandoren Java on tenor and am finding that it gives something that the Legere doesn't. Signature reeds are still my favourites for a reliable standby reed to have available, but I think it is back to cane for me.

What do you think ?

Rhys

I think that what has happened is that the Legere Signature tenor reed has gone dead on me, rather than me going off them. I still play my alto Signature and it's fine and I tried my other Signature tenor and that is now miles better. Both tenor reeds used to be equally good.

I have looked hard at the original Signature and there is no damage, but it just sounds dull and possibly a bit quieter.

I haven't played on that reed a ridiculous amount (for a synthetic), but I have played around with it on a variety of mouthpieces. It certainly hasn't given me £19 worth of playing time !

So, how long are you getting out of your Signature (or other Legere) reeds and what are the symptoms when it's on the way out ?

Rhys

I've been playing a Legere Sig 2 over the last week with a PPT 8*. However, I "broke it in" on a metal Yani 9 where it acquired a permanent bend towards the rails. Is this expected?

When I tried a new Legere Sig 2.25 on the PPT yesterday, the difference was immense and I could barely blow the thing!

I have been using mine for a month and am finding it so much easier to play than cane reeds. Still, I am a self appointed beginner, and with a gas problem I favour anything new I buy. But I do have a confidence in the synthetic reed that I don't have with others.

Hi Rhys, I love debates about reeds, Have a drawer full of differance types and sizes and so on - Keep coming back to cane reeds Rico. Never tried the Legere Signature - Its so difficult to find a good reed in a box and a good standby is always good to have. Ill be listening in on the responses you receive!
Thanks Les.

I have one of those which I found a bit stiff on my former bari set-up, not bad but a bit hard going. I tried it on my new PPT bari mouthpiece and it sounded truly awful. Not a match made in heaven, I fear.

I have one of those which I found a bit stiff on my former bari set-up, not bad but a bit hard going. I tried it on my new PPT bari mouthpiece and it sounded truly awful. Not a match made in heaven, I fear.

Was this a Legere (standard model) - as the Signature isn't available for baritone yet.

If so, that's quite interesting as I find the Legere works well with my PPT - in fact better than it does on other baritone mouthpieces I have got. Just goes to prove something.

Rhys

Rhys

I've got two Signatures that I rotate. 2.5 is too hard for my 7 opening but 2.25 is just right. I get a nice buzzy sound but it can be mellow as well. I can't see my going back to cane reeds as they were too inconsistent.

Haven't played mine for a while now. It was great on the new model Brilhart Level Air I had been using. Since then, I've tried it on my RPC, LAW Buzzer and Lawton 8*B and it just didn't work on any of them. So, back to RJS then. For the last three months I've gone back to my old Otto Link 10 with big added baffle, and the Legere is unblowable on it, although an RJS 2H is fine.

Hi Rhys
I only play my legere signature tenor on one mpc a 40`s Berg HR that i use for my C mel i also find it doesn`t suit all mpc`s,although i still got a signature for alto i don`t use it but prefer Fibracell premiers.
Still use legere Eb Clt for nino

Brian

I had a 2.25 on my tenor which I actually quite liked - until I had a bit of a slip and managed to stick my thumbnail (remember I am also a guitarist so have serious nails on my right hand ;} ) in the tip and cause a split... does anyone know if they can be trimmed ?