support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Sticking Pads

Hi all

I wonder if anyone knows a source for "chalk impregnated" paper. I know it exists but cant find anywhere to buy it. If not, any other suggestions for drying pads?

Thanks

Martin

hi, Martin

It is made by Yamaha and is called Powder Paper, I have been using a $1 note to stop pads sticking which seems to work as well.

Malcolm

[/QUOTE hi, Martin

It is made by Yamaha and is called Powder Paper, I have been using a $1 note to stop pads sticking which seems to work as well.

Hi SaxyMalcolm
I don't understand that. Please explin what you dó with the 1$ note?

Yours
Baxterman

Sorry for this rubbish in my comment yesterday! I am new to this forum.
What I was trying to ask, was the meaning of using a note to solve the sticky pad problem?
Thank you.

yours
Baxterman

Baxterman,

As described in Stephen Howard's Haynes Saxophone manual - place a $1 dollar (or any other banknote) under the sticky pad, bring the pad down gently and withdraw the note. It acts as a mild abrasive and removes anything stuck to the pad. For me it works better than powder paper.

Malcolm

That was always my belief too but I was recently "told off" at a gig for using cigarette paper, the guy told me its abrasive and damages the pad, thats why I was searching for "chalk paper"
I've ordered a pad of powder paper now so I hope it'll be good

Those Yamaha powder papers are handy but the best approach is to get the pad and tonehole clean; those BG fabric pads that Griff mentioned are well suited and just the right size - you can put lighter fuel on them to help remove any sticky residue. That said, I do use powder papers or Gig Dust on occasions when I just can't get a pad to stop sticking. Do follow the instructions and don't drag it (or anything) through whilst holding the pad down. When I'm out and don't have any of this with me, I'll use one of Her Majesty's finest bank notes but I do have a US $1 bill in my toolbox that fellow forum member LittleMy gave me about 10 years ago!

That was always my belief too but I was recently "told off" at a gig for using cigarette paper, the guy told me its abrasive and damages the pad, thats why I was searching for "chalk paper"
I've ordered a pad of powder paper now so I hope it'll be good
If Stephen Howard says its ok then i think its probably ok What does Griff think?

Hey get some talcon powder, and cover the pads in it, do it in the bath or over a sink then shake it to death got all my lower register working again and left it smelling fresh, :p plus sicky pads are from sugar in your saliva then it condenses on your saxophone and if you lay your saxophone a certain way, with the tone holes pointing downwards you'll get sticky pads so NO. 1 TIP, always rest your saxophone with the tone holes and plumbing as i call it upwards, this really does help nackered sax's DONT USE CIGARETTE PAPER, it does wreck your pads, also lemon juice very diluted, then dip cotton buds in it and wipe the pads and the rim and inner rim of the tone holes will keep you good for at least anotehr year before they need to be cleaned again :)

I have recently bought a new tenor, and found that the Gsharp (can't find the hash key) pad is sticky. It is a new tenor, so I don't think the stickiness is due to sugar or saliva as mentioned in previous posts. I have taken to leaving a five pound note in the sax when I'm not using it, and it has cured the stickiness. Not sure if I should continue to leave the note in or if the problem will resolve itself as I use the tenor more???

NO NO NO DON'T USE TALC!!!!!!!! Sorry SMJ, but it will cause more problems than it cures. Sure, it'll work brilliantly well to start with as it'll stick to the sticky pad and make it appear dry and clean. As soon as it gets moist, and trust me, it'll get moist, it'll turn into a gooey mess and make your pads worse! The best way to cure a sticky pad is to clean it thoroughly. Drip some lighter fluid onto a dollar bill (these are best as they are slightly rough, and the lighter fluid loosens the dirt) slip the bill between the offending pad and the tone hole, close the pad onto the tone hole with light pressure and then slide the bill out using a slight side to side movement. You may need to repeat this several times.
I would never use any powder of any sort on my pads!

NO NO NO DON'T USE TALC!!!!!!!! Sorry SMJ, but it will cause more problems than it cures. Sure, it'll work brilliantly well to start with as it'll stick to the sticky pad and make it appear dry and clean. As soon as it gets moist, and trust me, it'll get moist, it'll turn into a gooey mess and make your pads worse! The best way to cure a sticky pad is to clean it thoroughly. Drip some lighter fluid onto a dollar bill (these are best as they are slightly rough, and the lighter fluid loosens the dirt) slip the bill between the offending pad and the tone hole, close the pad onto the tone hole with light pressure and then slide the bill out using a slight side to side movement. You may need to repeat this several times.
I would never use any powder of any sort on my pads!

Here, Here, Deffinately no powder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:

Thats why you brush off the talc, ;) or use a hairdryer but on a very cold setting, as long as you get rid of the talc from the pads it'll be fine, a year and a half after talcing and i've still having no problems especially with the g# key :D and no gooey residue like you mentioned. But it takes a dam good cleaning afterwards, but better than spending £400 on new pads and your sax being out of action for a good month....

Thats why you brush off the talc, ;) or use a hairdryer but on a very cold setting, as long as you get rid of the talc from the pads it'll be fine, a year and a half after talcing and i've still having no problems especially with the g# key :D and no gooey residue like you mentioned. But it takes a dam good cleaning afterwards, but better than spending £400 on new pads and your sax being out of action for a good month....

I think it's something you should do with great care, and I personally (and this is ONLY my opinion ;}) would never recommend this to anyone else.

the key is a good cleaning afterwards, the talc gets rid of the moisture then cleaning the pads after gets rid of the talc which holds the moisture, but you've gotta do it with care! you are right i only know of two others who've done it and there was no problem with their sax's plus they got their bottom register back, but dont even attempt it unless your 10/10 sure you can do it!

I would defintiely try the lighter fluid first as its so easy and won't do any harm (better keep it away from naked flames, though!). Chances are, nothing more drastic will be required.

If Stephen Howard says its ok then i think its probably ok What does Griff think?

I agree. I was taught to use cigarette papers and lighter fluid at college. I dont use them if the sax has just been used or if there is moisture in the sax ( usually only on the upper keys)

Cut the glue strip off, put some lighter fluid on the paper and then close the pad onto the paper a few times, remove the paper and do the same but with the fluid on the other side of the paper to clean the tone hole rims.

I wouldnt class Cigarette papers as abrasive.

I wouldnt use talcum powder - with or without a hairdrier under any circumstances. For stubborn sticking pads I either remove the pad and clean with a cotton bud and some lighter fluid or very mild soapy water.

worst case scenario I change the pad either for a kangaroo skin pad almost completely non stick, or if the pad is small enough I use cork. ( which is my preferred pad matrial for octave key pads)

If the pad is in good condition you can try to clean it. I think most pads are workable. I use lukewarm destilate water + soap. Not to much water, just damp. And if you have the key of, make sure that the chimney and tonehole edge is clean.

When I bought saxes in USA the term "workable pads" was common. Most of the times they were workable.

Thomas