Tutorials

Reeds Steuer jazz reeds

Anton

Anyone tried these reeds from Steuer? I received a sample of a Steuer Jazz reed and I really like it. However I can't find a shop selling these reeds. Not funny when you have received one of the best reads you have ever tried and don't know where to buy them.......

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
How funny: I wrote them last week.

No reply.

Clarinet reeds are available in the UK. Saxophone reeds are not listed anywhere that I could find.
Lack of reply is already a good reason to give up.

OP
A

Anton

I also wrote them an email and didn't get a reply.

It is not a good start to promote a new reed and then not being able to deliver...
I don't want to give up yet as I really liked that Steuer Jazz reed I tried

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I had similar experience with Leuthner.
First boxes were the best reeds I ever played (Tenor Vienna 2). Then things started going wrong, I wrote them (him?) and they were quite dismissive. A shop that used to have them in stock stopped: I wasn't the only one with problems. I bought some remaining boxes and they were pretty average.

Problem with reeds is not only about the design, but also about the number of reeds in a box that can be played and the ease of sourcing them.

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
Very odd... Who did you receive the samples from, or how did you receive them? Perhaps they are not yet in production but are just in the pre production stage.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
CAUTION - IF VISITING STEUER WEBSITE - malware was loaded onto my PC from the website - it was a right pain to resolve!!
They told me they are checking with their webmaster, in France, but nothing was found.
Are you sure?
What about that email "increase the size of your pianist: click on the B# key"?

Craig Selwyn

They told me they are checking with their webmaster, in France, but nothing was found.
Are you sure?
What about that email "increase the size of your pianist: click on the B# key"?
Hi Aldevis,

Thanks for the update.

On looking at the thread I thought I'd try to find a distributor for Steuer reeds.
I visited the Distributer area of their website, then I received a pop up informing me a virus had been detected from the last website visited (Steuer).
The pop up looked like a genuine warning from Apple and prompted me to click ok to remove the virus.
I was suspicious of this and contacted Apple Support who verified it was not from them and clicking ok would have given someone access to my PC!
They then resolved the issue for me over the phone - the pop up immobilised my ability to use the internet and I couldn't remove it without help.

Do feel free to share this with Steuer, hope this helps clarify things.

Thanks, Craig

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I invited Steuer to keep an eye on this thread.
I sometimes get that sort of fake Apple warning. I just "cmd W", without clicking on it. It did not happen when I visited their site, though.

Here is a seller that ships to all Europe (no politics!)
Steuer - La Boîte à Anches

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Sometimes these nasties come from ad sites that are compromised.

Any virus warning that pops up should be closed without clicking on the warning (e.g. With back button, or close the browser from the minimised screen). This should leave you safe, but to be sure do a scan with up to date AV software.

OP
A

Anton

Received an email from Steuer yesterday with a link to the same French onlineshop as mentioned earlier. I hope there are more shops selling these reeds soon.

sax panther

Subscriber
There's a guy that's the US distributor for the Steuer clarinet reeds who posts on a clarinet forum - I could ping him if you like to see if he's got a contact for sax reeds?

I know from that forum that they were sending out free samples of the clarinet reeds, but that it was all happening very slowly....those who have tried them though have been very impressed with them.

Top Bottom