SYOS

Starting out.

Ray-S

Hi everyone. Just starting out and wondering what scales to start learning and in what order. Presumably both octaves and arpeggio. 65 years old so not going to be a good player but want to be proficient enough to eventually enjoy playing ballads and blues with a backing track purely for my own enjoyment.
Thanks.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
My advice is to find a teacher to get you going again.

jbtsax

Subscriber
An effective way to start is to use a beginning band method or saxophone method book. The skills and information are introduced in a logical, step wise sequence so that all the bases are covered. Those that come with a play along CD are especially fun and effective since you are essentially playing along with a "metronome" and are hearing fixed pitch instruments to help with tuning and intonation. I agree 100% with Nigeld to get a teacher to help you establish proper playing habits when you are just starting out.

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
Welcome to the Cafe and the saxophone, Ray. What’s this about you not becoming a good player? 65 is not so old. We have lots of members who started later. Have fun and take it a step at a time. Very nice to have you here.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
A really good resource to start with and one I keep coming back to is Taming The Saxophone

It's the sister-site, co-site, bro-site or whatever the correct term

Useful website articles and great books too

Good luck @Ray-S

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

• Members online

• Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Grae
Help!Mailing List