Tutorials

STAND WELL CLEAR! I'm about to go on a rant!

RedBottom

I've just been browsing through a few clips on YouTube looking for a band piece we're working on. I came across a clip of an American high school band playing an arrangement of Great Escape. It wasn't too bad at all, although not perfect by a long shot and the band, which I think is a beginner band, has plenty of room for improvement. A couple of the comments reflected this and I left something similar, but oh! The attitude of some so-called bandsfolk on there! It's appalling! So much talk of 'you're rubbish and my band does it so much better,' although in rather less eloquent language than that. Time and again I come across such comments, and never a whisper of anything constructive or encouraging.

I'm guessing these are mainly comments from American kids with more than a little growing up to do, but don't their music teachers teach them anything about being musicians rather than just teaching them music? We all like to think our own band is the best, and that's quite natural, but I also like to think that most 'real' musicians, whatever their standard, are able to treat those less able with a little civility and encouragement.

The sad thing is that I've actually come across adults on other (USA-based) forums that also display the same attitude. Someone posts a clip of himself having a (albeit not very skillful) go at a little improv, then someone else tells him to get a life and learn to play properly because they can do it better. The even sadder thing is that the someone-else in one instance claimed to be a music teacher and was backed up by someone training to be a music teacher. No hope, then, for their pupils who will continue to visit sites such as YouTube under the mistaken impression that the best musicians only become so by taking out the opposition at the knees before they've even started.:mad:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Ignore them. No way you can do anything (sadly) - except set a better example. Same thing happens on a lot of the photo forums - either meaningless praise, which is almost as bad, or destructive criticism.

When finally I get confident enough to post sax clips for feedback, it'll be to a very select audience. Here only.

visionari1

fishpond said:
Get your sax out, start playing, and move onto a different plane.
Failing that, listen to some beautiful music.:sax:
Couldn't agree more.

"What you focus on you become"

Life is too short to rant unless you release something then get to the good stuff
Ciao
Jimu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

RedBottom

Couldn't agree more.

"What you focus on you become"

Life is too short to rant unless you release something then get to the good stuff.
Perfectly good point, but I've been given lots of encouragement in my playing career from people who really didn't have to spend their time on me - they were just good enough to give it. Thus it really pi**es me off when people who should know better are nasty to those who are just learning.

I do try to take Kev's advice. I try to be helpful and constructive to other players and will always try to compliment someone at band when they've struggled with a tricky solo or passage, or achieved some sort of milestone. I meet younger players who seem to be developing good attitudes too, so all is not entirely lost. Just seems to be something American kids feel they have to do. I know they're probably a lot more competitive - that's the American way, I reckon - but is no-one teaching them about being good sports? Or is the phrase just not part of their language.

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
Believe me, if it had been a clip of a sporting event for kids, the comments would have been much, much worse.

There are many exceptions to this rudeness, but unfortunately, no one ever hears about the kids and communities who are setting a good example and striving to be a positive force in the world. It seems the negativity and shock value garner all the attention.

OP
R

RedBottom

Well, at least I have satisfaction of knowing my own kids were never like it ... not for long, anyway.

Linky Lee

I think if you look at almost any video on youtube you'll find similar comments 99% of the time.
The kind of people who leave these comments I would imagine aren't usually 'professionals' which is why it's obviously extremely annoying in this case.

Unfortunately it's very hard to administer these kind of things because of the scale and essentially you can say what you like, although I think most people would welcome restrictions, if they noticeably reduced the amount of 'bad comments'.

You should be able to report users and link to their comment(s), these reports would then be administered and the user's IP addresses banned from leaving further comments.

Top Bottom