support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Stan Getz - It never entered my mind

Your post made me go and listen to his recordings of this lovely tune and they are superb ! I don't have a transcription, but which recording are you after ?

The one with Oscar Peterson ?

Or the one with strings ?

It's such a fine tune with great lyrics and would make a good Ballad of the Month on the forum.

Rhys

Your post made me go and listen to his recordings of this lovely tune and they are superb ! I don't have a transcription, but which recording are you after ?

The one with Oscar Peterson ?

Or the one with strings ?

It's such a fine tune with great lyrics and would make a good Ballad of the Month on the forum.

Rhys

That first recording made me wonder if Getz ever recorded with Paul Desmond. From a quick Google, the answer is 'no', which seems a big shame.

That first recording made me wonder if Getz ever recorded with Paul Desmond. From a quick Google, the answer is 'no', which seems a big shame.
Indeed. I googled this several years ago and found nothing also. Desmond spent most of his time with the same musicians of course so I guess that made it less likely. I s'pose there was also the possibility that they were asked and one or both declined.

During lockdown and post-lockdown I've been doing quite a lot of transcribing and I have decided that my next saxophone transcription will be the live Stan Getz recording of "It Never Entered My Mind" (see the first video in Post #3 above).

I have just started sketching it out in Transcribe! software and have been struck by two surprising things.

1. The tune is usually/often played in Concert F but this Getz live recording is in Concert B. I did wonder whether he really did it in Concert Bb and it's been sped up by a semitone at some stage. And after the second bridge the tune modulates to Concert G, which sounds great.
2. The tune is conventionally 34 bars long with AABA structure and the final A section being ten bars long. Here, Getz plays the B section (bridge starting at about 1:26 into the video) as a four bar section with the melody sped up to double speed. It sounds so great that I hadn't even noticed it until I started to sketch out the transcription. After the AABA, he goes back to the bridge (2:25 in the video) and does the same again.

Or maybe I have gone mad - can anyone confirm what I have said above ?

Rhys

I bow to to your transcribing talent and hope that you might publish this one here when finished.I absolutely love this number as Stan Getz conveys a feeling of pathos and sadness in the opening section.good luck with this

I certainly will share it.

And I usually make a matching backing track so that I can play the transcription along with a rhythm section. The Band in a Box Real Tracks piano, bass, drums and guitar can usually do a pretty good job with ballads and they won't complain about playing in unusual keys. I'll share the backing track once it's done too.

Rhys

I certainly will share it.

And I usually make a matching backing track so that I can play the transcription along with a rhythm section. The Band in a Box Real Tracks piano, bass, drums and guitar can usually do a pretty good job with ballads and they won't complain about playing in unusual keys. I'll share the backing track once it's done too.

Rhys
Many thanks for that

Getz frequently played tunes in a different key than most. Being obsessed with sound he would play a tune in a key that he thought sat best on the instrument. He was a master in any key though and there are many stories about him calling the same tune in a different key. One wonders whether he did this just to try and throw the rhythm section or whether he just fancied something different.

I transcribed this back in 2005 but unfortunatley the old computer that it would have been saved on is long deceased. However, after searching through literally every scrap of sheet music in my bottomless pit of manuscript, I found it.

It's probably not 100% accurate rhythmically (blame my 21 year old self back then) but hopefully it is a good enough guide. I always loved this recording by Getz.

20201023_225701.jpg

20201023_225730.jpg

Last edited: